Cadillac Etc Vs Lexus Sc400

MR. LEX

I'm looking at an 97 Cadillac coupe and a 96 Lexus sc400. Which one looks better. And which one would you think of as more Luxury. Thanks for your input.

Both of those are questions only you can answer. Which one looks better is like asking us what you should eat for supper, looks are in the eye of the beholder. Which is more luxury, yet again that is a question only you can answer. What myself or the person next to me considers luxury is going to be different than what you consider luxury. Your best bet is drive them both, weigh the pros and cons of each with your needs and go from there, both are nice cars and both are expensive to keep up. I cant help you on which one looks better because that is strictly opinion and I wouldnt want to try and convince someone to see things my way. If I had to choose I would go with the Lex just because I have had both cars and the lex was more reliable.

Ok first off.. .pics will help... so you're welcome ;)

ResizeofResizeofeldo2.jpg

lexus-sc400-original.jpg

I think the SC400 is much nicer than the Caddy.

The Caddy is wayyy to huge to be a fun coupe. The SC would be much more nimble.

The SC will be MUCH more luxurious on the inside as well. Since well, American Luxury vehicle have no interior style. Even the Escalade interiors are basically identical to Suburbans.

The SC exudes taste and class, The Caddy?? Um.. an expensive Chevy! :D :D lol.

Also you should factor in the reliability issue. I wouldn't trust an older used American car NEARLY as much as a used Import.

Sorry Sir, I will have to disagree with you there.

Nothing about the Cadillac and Lexus are on the "same page" ;)

The SC has a sportier ride because it is a luxury sports coupe. Not a Luxury sedan sized coupe that is not sporty at all. :lol: haha

If all you care about is gizmos ("features") then you should buy the Caddy. The Lexus has certainly been a top of the line car since well before 1998, its just not a car about "gizmos", never has been. Even now they have a lot of bells and whistles but they still lag behind in that department a little bit. You'll learn as you go forward that truly fine things are actually fairly simple.

Yes I have had a Cadillac, not an Eldorado but the same car, my dad had a 95 STS before he got his 98 LS400. No comparison, the Cadillac of that generation is nowhere near as sturdy, reliable, or as long lasting a car as a Lexus. The Eldorado is FWD, Lexus SC is RWD. Rattles...broken off trim peices...that was our experience with the Cadillac.

You say the Lexus is overpriced (best selling Luxury car in the country, so obviously people disagree), but what you are experiencing is that Lexus vehicles hold their value while Cadillacs depreciate like rocks. When you're buying them that old I guess thats a good thing because they are cheap, but when you buy them new like me...lets just say that would be the biggest reason I would hesitate about buying a Cadillac, the extremely poor resale value.

Cadillacs have gotten a lot better...but that generation they are just not on the same level as a Lexus. Once my Dad made the move to Lexus vehicles he always said "after you get used to the Lexus a Cadillac really just feels like a Chevy".

? for jcrome04. Have you ever own a cadillac before. My first post was about looks and Luxury. Not sporty. If I wanted a sporty car I'll buy a M3 or a C5 Vette. This is my 2nd Cadillac. Sold the last one right before I pick up an 96 LS400. Wish I could have pick a 99 or 2000 at the time. But Lexus is too over priced and it will be awhile before I pick up another LS400. The Caddy and the ES300 will be good for now.

An M3 or a C5 Vette? If that is your price range kind of cars why are you looking at those two old, reletivly cheap, cars for luxury? I havn't owned a Cad before but I've driven them they are more luxurious than they are being given credit for here I'll admit.

If you were just looking for straight lux I don't think you'd be looking at a coupe either. The Lexus costs more because it is very reliable.

Quality vehicles hold their value... (for a reason) While lesser vehicles do not.

I have never owned a Cadillac, but have driven them, had friends that own them, and cleaned many in my time detailing. They are NOTHING special (to me). Even the Escalade is just a glorified Suburban. Same Interior. Same paint schemes. Same everything basically. Just more electronics and a nav screen, and a marque to pay obscenely more for. Yes, yes Cadillac is luxury, I'll give them that. But they are NO WHERE near the level, and/or quality that Lexus is at.

I also will pose the question... if your budget is in the M3 or C5 range... why are you looking at these old used things?

I, am from the south too - having spent the vast majority of my life in either NC or Alabama, and what you're referring to in regards to most folks having an old car as a weekend cruiser is translation for "yard-art." There is a reason why you only see Mustang GT's and busted down old chevy's "including cadillac" being displayed as "yard art" in the south, not a Lexus. You like the caddy, then buy it. My personal opinion? You'd have to pay me to take one those cars actually, due to all the problems with the suspension, alternators/ps pumps, leaks, electronic gremlins, and the slew of bad craftsmanship associated with just about every GM product made during the 90's. About the only GM product of that time that I would consider would be a Tahoe.

You posted the question to compare the two on a Lexus website, so you've got to expect the answers you're going to get on a 12 year old cadillac. ;)

Um, last time I looked, Norfolk was NORTH of North Carolina. :P

What is H-town? They're not related to that boy bad O-Town from the late 90's are they? B)

Just make sure, if you buy that caddy, and it dies on you, that you don't add proof to the #1 day of the 12 days of Christmas - Jeff Foxworthy style "...and parts to a Mustang GT" :cheers:

Now, if you want a true, oldie Cadillac, I'll put you in touch with my dad who is selling is 1973 Deville, with 14,000 ORIGINAL miles! Big block american V8, with very discrete pipes that'll put hair on man's chest (and some of those women around Huntsville) the second you hear that monster engine start. I think he was asking around $10k for it. Let's just say, it's flippin awesome! And sitting in storage in NE Oklahoma, about 40 miles from Tulsa.

yeah anything will break down if its been mistreated, but the LS400 is one of, if not the most reliable cars on the road. Thats not just an opinion, look at the dependability data. Its no question.

And LOL, remember...Norfolk is really the south...but North Carolina is not. Hilarious.

LOL :lol:

LOC is not the place to be hardcore "gangsta" and "reppin' yo city" brah B)

You're asking for advice on a Lexus forum, on which vehicle to choose between a Caddy and LS.... You should know what the answer is going to be..

Do the research on the vehicles.. How long has the LS been #1 Consumer Reports "Best Car" or whatever??????

Cadillac is just not up to the same plate that Lexus is at. No one is trying to offend anyone. It is just time proven fact. Just look at everything on paper.

You'll be much happier with the LS ;)

NC211 dude you crack me up LOL :lol:

• 4 years later...

Very old Topic but I have my 1993 Cadillac Eldorado with the 4.9L motor. With no problems at all! By far it's been more reliable than my last 1996 Lexus LS400. Also the Cadillac is cheaper on upkeep too. The Lexus is an great car but some cars are better. My new M3 Bmw is fun to drive but lexus is more reliable. Pick certain years of every car make and you'll find out everyone was on top at one time or another. My garage now 1987 jaguar xj6, 1993 benz 400e, 1993 Cadillac Eldorado, 2014 Bmw M3, 1995 jaguar VDP , 1997 lexus es 300.