Ecu Ecm Rebuild

denis5000

My ls400 has a problem. it hesitates when accelerating, has an erratic idle, stalls and shuts down. Dealer said i need new ECU ECM unit... said it was gonna be like $1100... can't afford that... I think i would be able to fix it with proper guide lines... Can anyone help me?

The ECU is not a rebuildable item as it is solid state. It is only programable/flashable with the right equipment. I'm afraid, if that diagnosis is correct, that you have to replace the part. The good news is that it is generally easy to replace compared to many other jobs that the LS requires during it's life. Toyota estimates the job to take .8 hours or 48 minutes. We need more info on your car. Shall we guess that it is either a '95 or '96? Does the car start back up after it dies from a stop and idles fine after that or does it still idle bad after the shutdown? Does it alway's shut down at a stop or only after highway driving? Give us some more details.

But to answer your questions directly. No, you cannot "Rebuild" your ECU.

The ECU is not a rebuildable item as it is solid state. It is only programable/flashable with the right equipment. I'm afraid, if that diagnosis is correct, that you have to replace the part. The good news is that it is generally easy to replace compared to many other jobs that the LS requires during it's life. Toyota estimates the job to take .8 hours or 48 minutes. We need more info on your car. Shall we guess that it is either a '95 or '96? Does the car start back up after it dies from a stop and idles fine after that or does it still idle bad after the shutdown? Does it alway's shut down at a stop or only after highway driving? Give us some more details.

But to answer your questions directly. No, you cannot "Rebuild" your ECU.

Do you know what the "right equipment" would be? I think you are correct about "flashing" the thing... i found the same type of comments on other forums. Do you think it's strictly soft issue?

I have a friend who sent his ECU out with the same issue, and it came back totally fixed, his problems is totally gone, that's why i assumed that there is a fix.

it is 95, the car always starts back and idles fine, no problem. It usually happens after hard braking, only after frankly long operation (if you just start it up, take off, and brake hard it doesn't happen).

On page 1 there is a thread linking to another great thread on this issue. You'll either need a new ECM with the correct updated part number or send yours off to be re-flashed. All of the info you'll need is in this link on page 1:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=55844

Okay, maybe I'm just mechanically declined, but the posts in the link you gave suggest a NEW ECM versus re-flashing. Was told by Toyota dealer mechs (no Lexus dealer locally) that ECM is dead. They wanted $1500 for parts and labor. Suggestions as to where I can get a new ECM for a decent price? I'm trying not to give up completely on my beloved 94 LS400, even though it's currently needs more than $4k worth of repairs (as estimated by aforementioned mechanics).

One more time, take it out and send it to ATE/ASI in Tenn. $99.00 and they pay for return shipping. 1-866-983-6688. My 93 hasn't missed a beat for 2000 miles since their work. Sure beats the dealer. ;)