Air Conditioner

My air conditioner fan motor has been making a clicking noise like a baseball card on a bicycle tire now it won't turn on. I can hear the air conditioner compressor kick in but no fan to blow air. It happened the other day but after restarting the car it came back on. Now it won't come on at all. Any ideas anyone! Thanks!

My air conditioner fan motor has been making a clicking noise like a baseball card on a bicycle tire now it won't turn on. I can hear the air conditioner compressor kick in but no fan to blow air. It happened the other day but after restarting the car it came back on. Now it won't come on at all. Any ideas anyone! Thanks!

check the following: fuses,ground,wires plugged in, voltage to the motor?

May want to pull the blower assembly out to make sure nothing has come apart in there....or a rock, twig or something may have entered in there and is interferring... good luck!

May want to pull the blower assembly out to make sure nothing has come apart in there....or a rock, twig or something may have entered in there and is interferring... good luck!

I cleaned the filter, wasn't very dirty. Checked the fuse and spun the blower wheel by hand. Started the car and came back on. Pretty confusing, but I ordered a new blower fan just in case it goes out again and I expect it will. Thanks for all your support. I'll keep you informed if I need to change the motor.

• 1 month later...

I have had that clicking/ticking noise in the fan motor in several cars of different makes.

It seems to be the carbon brushes that make this noise; I have also had it for a short time in my GS. My experience is that the noise disappears after some time. Manually control the fan speed, use to make the noise disappears, the noise that I’m talking about is only present at low fan speed.

I your case, considering it is not working at all now, probably the brushes in the fan motor are stuck or worn out. Try to knock on the motor, that could help if they are stuck.

Such motor can usually be repaired at a good car electric shop, provided that you can take out the fan motor.

/Råger