Seats!

intellivised

My 1992 LS400 has been in excellent mechanical shape and I've kept up with it. My attention, though, has been turned to the interior. I don't want to sound mean, but the prior owner was quite large and in charge and the drivers side seat shown an unusual amount of wear. Well. The other morning I came out to my car and noticed that it finally happened - I have a crack in the seat. I can see the green foam.

I'm sort of interested in replacing this car - or at least moving it to 'plan B' - but want to shore up the interior problems I've had. My carpet covers for the lower part of the door are loose (nothing a hot glue gun would be able to handle, I'm thinking)

What should I do to fix this? Is a new seat in order? Or a trip to the real or virtual junkyard? Is there a good way to patch these?

If you think it'll help I can venture out in the morning and get a camera phone picture. Just let me know.

Also! Bonus round: One of the 'wood' panels in the backseat covering the window buttons are missing - where can I get one of those?

Thanks! New swaybar bushings next Saturday - I'm excited/hoping they'll make a difference.

My 1992 LS400 has been in excellent mechanical shape and I've kept up with it. My attention, though, has been turned to the interior. I don't want to sound mean, but the prior owner was quite large and in charge and the drivers side seat shown an unusual amount of wear. Well. The other morning I came out to my car and noticed that it finally happened - I have a crack in the seat. I can see the green foam.

I'm sort of interested in replacing this car - or at least moving it to 'plan B' - but want to shore up the interior problems I've had. My carpet covers for the lower part of the door are loose (nothing a hot glue gun would be able to handle, I'm thinking)

What should I do to fix this? Is a new seat in order? Or a trip to the real or virtual junkyard? Is there a good way to patch these?

If you think it'll help I can venture out in the morning and get a camera phone picture. Just let me know.

Also! Bonus round: One of the 'wood' panels in the backseat covering the window buttons are missing - where can I get one of those?

Thanks! New swaybar bushings next Saturday - I'm excited/hoping they'll make a difference.

Whatever you do, dont buy reupholstery from leatherseats.com - I had these for two years, and the quality, fit and finish are horrible, and they were in worse shape after two years than original seats after 12 years.

I went ahead and swapped LS430 seats in.

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

I have a crack in the seat. I can see the green foam.

I have no affiliation with them but you may want to check out Fibrenew I got a quote on 2 cars and haven't fixed them yet Fibrenew Website Here

Prices were decent and examples of work performed seemed pretty really good, not sure if they are available in your area buy you can check.

No affiliation, but there are plenty of sellers on eBay who are selling aftermarket LEATHER seat covers (depends on your interior colors), and some who are selling used OEM seat covers. Might find a sweet deal. My driver's seat back is beat to heck and I'm looking that way, if i decide to keep the old girl. Been having some problems with her, and have had to buy a car to replace her, since I'm not sure if I wanna pour money into getting her fully operational.

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever you do, dont buy reupholstery from leatherseats.com - I had these for two years, and the quality, fit and finish are horrible, and they were in worse shape after two years than original seats after 12 years.

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

I had to comment, nice job. I went the sportier route with IS300 seats, but those look great in your car.

• 3 weeks later...

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

Nice Job! I like it very much!!! It Gave a new look to a car!!! Is seats still got power? Are they still operational like heated and stuff?

• 1 month later...

Yep, fully functional... well almost. Fully powered and heated, but there are a few issues that I couldnt figure out.

1) The seatbelt buckle illumination doesnt work - I was too lazy to figure this out since its a useless feature.

2) No seatbelt warning light on dash, even if I'm not fastened up - also too lazy to figure it out, useless feature

3) Seatbelt tensioner reducer is wired to the ignition instead of seatbelt buckle.

Everything else works 100%

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

Nice Job! I like it very much!!! It Gave a new look to a car!!! Is seats still got power? Are they still operational like heated and stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

hi i have been wanting to upgrade to ls430 seats in my 98 ls, love what you did any difference in comfort? and was the install an easy one mine has side air bags did they just bolt in?

hi i have been wanting to upgrade to ls430 seats in my 98 ls, love what you did any difference in comfort? and was the install an easy one mine has side air bags did they just bolt in?

They didnt just bolt in, I had to do some work, but it wasnt anything too crazy. Might be easier with a 98, but I dont know how much more comfortable the 01 seats are going to be. 95+ seats were always very comfortable, its the 90-94 that were horrible.

They didnt just bolt in, I had to do some work, but it wasnt anything too crazy. Might be easier with a 98, but I dont know how much more comfortable the 01 seats are going to be. 95+ seats were always very comfortable, its the 90-94 that were horrible.

hey OCH, did you have to make new mounting brackets for the seats ?? i have a 93 ls and i hate the seats that are in it!! any advice on the fabricating will be of great help thanks...by the way your interior looks really nice!!! thanks for the inspiration!!

hey OCH, did you have to make new mounting brackets for the seats ?? i have a 93 ls and i hate the seats that are in it!! any advice on the fabricating will be of great help thanks...by the way your interior looks really nice!!! thanks for the inspiration!!

Well the bracket in front is straight forward. The track on the original seat was I think 18-1/2", the new seats are 17", but one of the holes matches. So I made a 1/4"x2" strip with three holes to mount the front of the seat, but the rear was a bit more complicated, I had to make a new hole in the floor and an insert to hold the seat. Nothing too complicated really.

thanks alot i am so tired of my seats in my 93 ls....SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!! im now looking for the seats in junk yards ebay and wrecks. thanks for the advice

I found mine on ebay, very cheap. When I found them, there were also a set of LS460 seats, for only $100 more, but they were black :(

If you find a wrecked LS460 you could probably buy the seats real cheap, there isnt much market for them.

There are a few sets of 430 seats right now on ebay.

No affiliation, but there are plenty of sellers on eBay who are selling aftermarket LEATHER seat covers (depends on your interior colors), and some who are selling used OEM seat covers. Might find a sweet deal. My driver's seat back is beat to heck and I'm looking that way, if i decide to keep the old girl. Been having some problems with her, and have had to buy a car to replace her, since I'm not sure if I wanna pour money into getting her fully operational.

I actually bought these covers and I reupholstered my seats. It was a lot of work, and the quality isn't premium, but they ended up looking great and im getting compliments from other LS owners. ;)

i see the ls430 seats on ebay right now...what is the difference between the 430 and the 460 seats?? also what year are yours? im ready to do this...I HATE MY SEATS!!!

Well, mine are out of 01 430, so they are only heated. If you find 460 seats they are going to be heated and cooled. You could find heated/cooled 430 seats, but thats gonna be a tough find.

since i have a 93 ls400... do you think its possible to hook up both the heated and cooledd seats and have it working in my 93...? or is that something that would be a wasted item and i should stick to the LS430 seats???

since i have a 93 ls400... do you think its possible to hook up both the heated and cooledd seats and have it working in my 93...? or is that something that would be a wasted item and i should stick to the LS430 seats???

Absolutely possible.

OCH, THANKS AGAIN...BY THE WAY I HAVE FOUNND A TON OF LS430 SEATS AND I'M WAITING ON A PRICE FOR 2008 LS460 SEATS THAT CAME OUT OF A FATAL CRASH...SO THE PRICE BETTER BE GOOD SINCE I'M BUYING THEM AS-IS AND I GOT SUM CLEANING TO DO... WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR SEATS TAN OR CREAM/OFF-WHITE??? I'M FINDING ALOT OF BLACK AND SOME TAN....BUT YOURS LOOKS WHITE?? HEY THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE....I'M GETTING CLOSER!!!

First of all - caps lock please.

I'M WAITING ON A PRICE FOR 2008 LS460 SEATS THAT CAME OUT OF A FATAL CRASH...SO THE PRICE BETTER BE GOOD SINCE I'M BUYING THEM AS-IS AND I GOT SUM CLEANING TO DO

That's kind of gross - I don't think I could do it.

First of all - caps lock please.
I'M WAITING ON A PRICE FOR 2008 LS460 SEATS THAT CAME OUT OF A FATAL CRASH...SO THE PRICE BETTER BE GOOD SINCE I'M BUYING THEM AS-IS AND I GOT SUM CLEANING TO DO

That's kind of gross - I don't think I could do it.

+1 to both. Caps lock OFF.

Biohazard cars are not fun to tear into.

They are almost white, but not pure white.

And I wouldn't buy seats from a car that was in a fatal crash. First of all cleaning somebody's blood from the seat isn't fun, and second, after such impact these seats are probably internally damaged anyway.

www.car-part.com is a great source to begin with for salvage yards.

After that you can usually find specialty yards too, like Sports and Imports here in GA that only salvage Lexus and Benz cars. Sure they're pricier, but they're guaranteed to have most any Lexus part you can think of. They also have a large warehouse so the majority of stock is stored inside, away from the elements.