Got A New Hood

AWJ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car is in the body shop right now. That and it's raining cats and dogs. Been that way all day. :unsure: Anyways, car will be back Wednesday. I have two events to attend this weekend and I will snap up some photos at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I should give an update on the hood. It has been on for roughly two weeks. I have driven the car 5 times. On the way back from the body shop last Friday, I passed a semi. The wind from that truck buckled my hood so bad I thought it was coming off. It cracked in two places. Can't notice it unless I point it out. Then, after the supra meet, it came unlatched and nearly flew up on me, but I saw it pop and pulled off and put it back down right and it didn't come back up. Not sure if I didn't put it down right or not. Every time after, I've made sure it is completly latched and it hasn't come back up. Still flexes on a windy day though. The leading edge has cracked (it fell at the show when the wind lifted it and the rod fell out - that or the pop at speed did it) and I will try to fill it with that black epoxy. My body guy said he would spray a clear over it and that should cover the defects and probably the cracks too.

On to the front end - yes, it has the same surface defects up close. The cuts are somewhat sloppy but not as bad as some other kits I have seen. The angle of the picture does not help. I'll put another one up. After my experience with the hood I know I could file them down to look smooth. The questionable area is the holes for the high beams. Kind of an odd line. Won't know if it will look right until I mount it. I'm confident a shot of clear coat and wet sand will make the viewable area much better. Not sure if it will last though. The hood surely isn't. The bumper is much stronger than the hood. Much thicker. It is week at the top section. I will probably have some rod stock cut down and mounted behind to reinforce it. I will also have an aluminum plate cut out to bolt to the bottom of it for more rigidity and to offer a skid plate kind of function. It came with one small crack in it already. Importfan clearly marks that all sales are final on their new site. Before, they said there was a satisfaction guarantee. I guess that was bull. No reference to BBB either. I just might have to swallow this one. Learning experience.

One thing I have noticed though showing the car - people do not notice the defects. They just go gooey over the carbon fiber. It does look good from a foot away. Not until you get right on it and know what you are looking for do I become annoyed at the quality. Hoepfully, some clear coat will cover that stuff up. Still haven't decided if I want to sell these pieces or not. I posted a few pictures of the hood and I'll try to get a straight on shot in the sun for those of you who want to see it. I will update later.

post-3-1082721803.jpg