Rust

Lexica

I just brought home my brand new car and took a good look at it. There is some rust inside the wheels, one of the exhaust pipes and in a few other places (both chrome and metal). What would be your advice?

An update... I was driving by my dealership today and stopped to ask them about the rust (I didn't see it when I picked up the car). They told me it was surface rust and that it would go away after a while. I find it interesting, my previous car, which was cheaper and less "sophisticated" than the Lexus, never had any surface rust... or at least, I've never seen it or been told it was there, and yet the brand new "luxury" car has it... and it hasn't even been driven yet. Hmmm....

The comment kind of made me laugh - of course the rust will go away after a while. You won't be able to see it underneath the dirt :-)

I just brought home my brand new car and took a good look at it. There is some rust inside the wheels, one of the exhaust pipes and in a few other places (both chrome and metal). What would be your advice?

An update... I was driving by my dealership today and stopped to ask them about the rust (I didn't see it when I picked up the car). They told me it was surface rust and that it would go away after a while. I find it interesting, my previous car, which was cheaper and less "sophisticated" than the Lexus, never had any surface rust... or at least, I've never seen it or been told it was there, and yet the brand new "luxury" car has it... and it hasn't even been driven yet. Hmmm....

The comment kind of made me laugh - of course the rust will go away after a while. You won't be able to see it underneath the dirt :-)

My retort would have been, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Its just surface rust. The brake rotors and hubs will display some surface rust and actually the culprit is moisure when the car is sitting, which it did a lot of on route to being purchased by you. You can actually clean it off if you want to, but it won't hurt anything.

Its just surface rust. The brake rotors and hubs will display some surface rust and actually the culprit is moisure when the car is sitting, which it did a lot of on route to being purchased by you. You can actually clean it off if you want to, but it won't hurt anything.

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate your insight.