Braking Blinks...

Csosz74

Hey all,

try to keep you awake...

When I hit the brakes, my headlights blink. :blink:

When the windows are closed and I try to pull them up, my headlights blink. :blink:

They even blink during driving. They just go black for a quick moment, and they work fine after. :blink:

It so disturbing and I'm certain it's not right. I just had my P/s pump and alternator changed 3 weeks ago. Two weeks later I had to go back and get another pump installed because the first one started to DUMP the fluid all over.

Maybe that second leak disturbed the new alt?

thanks

A

I agree with Ruud. Sounds like connection from alternator to battery not sound and when you turn on an additional electrical load the voltage drops (because the battery is sourcing power since alternator current is limited by a poor connection). I would check ground strap and main +ve lead on the alternator to make sure they’re torqued down properly. If the dealer did it I have them look at it.

If you have a DVM measure battery voltage at the battery terminals with the car running. Then turn on various devices (hi-beam headlights, AC on, seat heaters, blower fan on high, rear window defogger, …) and see if the voltage sags. If it drops below 13 then you have something wrong with charging system, hopefully just loose wiring, maybe slipping belt (seems unlikely), or they put in a faulty new alternator.

Yes, sounds like a prob with the new alternator. It was either faulty from the factory, or more likely failed when the other PS pump dumped fluid all over it.