Starter Issues "help"

Meist21

Here it is. My neeighbors computer crashed so I am writing this for him. He has a 98 LS 400 about 80K miles. This morning when he went to start the car it made a single click noise and would not start. He said the selanoid sp? was kicking in but it sounded like a "dead spot" in the starter. After about four tries he was able to turn the car over and start it. There is a branch new battery in the car and the battery was putting out 12.5 V just sitting there with nothing on or running. Exactly what it said on the battery itself. When he got the car home the same thing happened. He mentioned a post by Lextech covering this issue. I'll be damned if I can find the post. Lextech said it probably was not the starter itself but rather something else. It looks as though the car makes the click noise when you first try to turn it over but after about 4 tries the car finally starts. Does anyone (expecially Lextech) have any ideas as to what is going on here?

If the new battery is fully charged and all you get is a click when you try to start, first thing to check is all your battery cabling and make sure there is no corrosion. Pay particular attention to all the ground cabling that grounds the engine to the chassis. If all the cabling is in good condition condition and the battery is new and fully charged then as a last resort you might start thinking of the starter. The LS starter is located under the intake manifold, located between the two cylinder banks.

Curt

It ended up being the starter. Thanks to obergc for the reply. I would have thought more people would have had some thoughts on that on. Cost is about $810.00 around Chicago to get one replaced. But hey you get to drive a different Lexus for a couple of days.

I have never seen another car with the starter in this location. I use to drive GM cars (well I still have two) and they are always outside the block. Starters are better than they were in the good old days.