1994 Lexus Ls 400

Larry W

Both of my remote keys are falling apart. Is the dealer the only place of Earth to buy replacements?

As far as i know it is the only place. Ebay has some occasionally, but I would question whether it is worth the gamble with the non-Lexus keys and fob's.

I have purchased two keys from Sewell Lexus in Dallas via the web. They were about one third of the cost at the local dealer here in Los Angeles. The most-recent was a replacement for the master key where the case was cracked beyond repair. They cut the key and sent an empty blank and I transfered the transponder from my key to the new and was good to go. The entire proscess from ordering to completion was four days.

If you even looked at the threads on the 1st page of this LS forum... you'd see the other Key thread where I posted up a link for Sewell, and instructed the OP to buy keys from them..

always Sewell for keys..

Unless you're determined to have the actual keys with the little button on the side, you might want to look into getting an after-market multi-function remote. This same problem happened to me; they keychain loop to my key with door remote broke off completely, and i went to three different dealers (both toyota and lexus) to see how much it would cost. They wanted between $450 and $650 to replace the key, the remote sensor in the vehicle, AND cut a spare.

For the same price, I found a Clifford door lock/alarm/remote start on Amazon, and had it installed. This remote has approximately a half-dozen different functions it can perform, including popping the trunk, popping the gas cap, pretty much anything you want that is electrically wired in the car. I was able to get the system AND the installation for just over $400...

To Hades with the OEM key remotes, I say.