1994 Lexus Ls 400

Larry W

I recently purchased (Dec 2008) a preowned 1994 LS with only 80K miles. I searched for 6 months on Ebay only find this beauty 5 miles from my home. I took the car to Sears for a new battery and after leaving I noticed the air bag light was on as well as the "light" icon. I noticed a dime had fallen into the never used cigarette lighter (used for Garmin only). Both cigarette lighters are not working. I checked the fuses under the hood and found no bad ones. As far as the dash lights go is there a reset for the computer that a consumer can do (I'm pretty handy) or is this a dealer trip? The cigarette lighters seem to be controlled by another source (the dime has been removed). Any assistance would be appreciated as I like my cars to be 100% functional. This is a great car and I plan on enjoying it for years to come as I only average about 11,000 miles per year. Thank you in advance for your time to respond.

Your cigarette lighter, unless I am mistaken, is controlled by fuses in the drivers leg area, not under the hood. Check there first.

Thank you, I'll check first thing in the morning.

The fuse that will have blown is in the drivers side fuse panel Fuse # 5 rated at 15A ( should be 2nd row from the left middle) this fuse also protects the SRS ( airbag) amongst others which is probably why your airbag light is also on.

If after replacing the fuse the airbag light is still on here is the reset proceedure.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/airbaglight.html

The fuse that will have blown is in the drivers side fuse panel Fuse # 5 rated at 15A ( should be 2nd row from the left middle) this fuse also protects the SRS ( airbag) amongst others which is probably why your airbag light is also on.

If after replacing the fuse the airbag light is still on here is the reset proceedure.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/airbaglight.html

Steve2006:

Thanks for the detailed info & pictures to clear the air bag light. I replaced the fuse for the cigarette lighter, but the lighter still does not work. I checked the fuse again and it's OK. Any suggestions.

The "check engine light" is a known flaw that occurs when the battery is disconnected. There are tutorials on this website how to fix it. Lexls.com, I believe, is a great source. There is nothing wrong with your engine. But it's such a PIA to get the light off, I simply put black tape over the light.

I mean, the car is older than my cousins. Which means that they're as big a maintenance PIA as my 94LS. But I love my cousins, and love my old Lexus...

The "check engine light" is a known flaw that occurs when the battery is disconnected. There are tutorials on this website how to fix it. Lexls.com, I believe, is a great source. There is nothing wrong with your engine. But it's such a PIA to get the light off, I simply put black tape over the light.

I mean, the car is older than my cousins. Which means that they're as big a maintenance PIA as my 94LS. But I love my cousins, and love my old Lexus...

Carefully use a test light on your cig lighter, or a multimeter and check for voltage. ground onto the ring, and poke the centre at the bottom, try not to bridge them or you will need to buy another fuse. If the voltage is there, then get a new lighter plug. If not, then check wiring. if it is all rusty and nasty insde, then you might need to buy a cig lighter socket replacement.

You can also try swtitching lighters between the back and front lighters, and see if the problem chases the plug, or the socket.

Carefully use a test light on your cig lighter, or a multimeter and check for voltage. ground onto the ring, and poke the centre at the bottom, try not to bridge them or you will need to buy another fuse. If the voltage is there, then get a new lighter plug. If not, then check wiring. if it is all rusty and nasty insde, then you might need to buy a cig lighter socket replacement.

You can also try swtitching lighters between the back and front lighters, and see if the problem chases the plug, or the socket.

The cigarette lighter is "as new" since it's a non smoker's car. If the front lighter is out will that cause the rear one to go out also? Seems like they would be in tandem.

The cigarette lighter is "as new" since it's a non smoker's car. If the front lighter is out will that cause the rear one to go out also? Seems like they would be in tandem.

I am unsure if they are on the same circuit, but if you replaced the fuse and it is fine now, then I would hope not both are out. If they are both still out, then chances are theya re on the same circuit and it is having ground issues.