What Kind Of Oil To Use?

DuaneG

I personally think it’s more important to change your oil at 5k mile intervals than what you use (well don’t buy an off brand no name oil). I've never tried the synthetics but I have to say it does sound impressive and I am tempted to give them a go. The one issue in my mind is that as cars age and “loosen up” you get more cylinder “blow by” and this contaminates the oil faster. So while synthetic may be a better lubricant that contamination still goes on. Most of these synthetics come with special filters so maybe they’ve figured it all out.

I’m not an expert on synthetics but there are some people here more up on them than I.

Either way 160k miles isn't much for these cars. You have many oil changes ahead of you.

93 LS400, 160K miles.

What kindof oil should I use?

I am not using synthetic at this time, but should I think about changing over?

D

Short answer - NO. Ain't no good reason to change that I can think of ... but be my guest ... read up ... plenty of threads here.

I have converted every car I have owned, most with high mileage, to synthetic with no issues. The reports of cars burning oil after switching are just myths now. You can switch if you like. Personal preferance.

You can go longer on a synthetic than dino oil.

I run 10-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic for 5k with no issues. My car has 219k

What does your LS handbook recommend?

That is usually the best spot for this type of information as it was written with usually millions(and in this case billions) of dollars of researh behind it.

That being said, I run synthetic in my LS due to the -40Celcius Winter temps(-60 with windchill on occasion) and it has no problems starting in the dead-chill of the Canadian prairies.(The telescopic steering wheel sure makes odd noises at that temp though, and my guageset takes several minutes to fully illuminate as well).

Most of the guys around here that I work with (Mechs) recommended I switch to syth for the winters at the bare minimum, and I have been very happy. My other car was a 2004 Echo and it had a really laggy slow turnover on mineral oil under the same conditions despite havinga baby engine to spin, but the battery is also smaller in that car, so take that for what it is.

Being from the commercial side of the automotive aftermarket for 30 years, (my god, has it been that long?) I have been told by mechanics I trust, that Syntetics are a worthwhile ugrade. The molecular structure makes for less friction, they don't break down as quickly, and are better for startup. Having said that, you still get the same amount of contaminants no matter what you use. So to get the best of both worlds, use 1 quart of the synethic and regular quality oil for the rest. You get the advantages synthetic has to offer, but since you still need to change your oil every 3-5k miles, you don't pay nearly as much in the long run. Myself, I just by the blended when it's on sale. And I know it's just mental, but the first time I did the semi-synthetic oil change, my 94LS felt like it had some new kick to it.

Guys, seriously, do a "search" for "oil". You'll find far more information/debates/inputs on this subject than any other (except maybe using regular and midgrade gas). Feel free to chat about it, but don't be too surprised if one of the moderators turns this thread off and refers you to one of the countless others.

As long as you're not using 2-stroke oil from the lawnmower, whatever you use is a personal pref. Me? I'm a M1 full synthetic every 5k miles fan myself, in all of my cars since 2005.

It clearly is personal preference. Living in the hinterlands of MN I find some benefit to using synthetic over dino for easier winter starts, and slight increase in mpg. I go 5k between changes. Considerable price difference between dino and synthetic, however. Bigger factor imo is change interval.

- Mike