Is This Guy Legit? Climate Control For Cheap

LEXDOGG

Yes, lex-pert is Jim Walker. You can find messages from him and about his product/services all over this forum. He is legit and reliable and everything else. If you want what he's got, buy with confidence!

What he's selling for $160 is the LCD panel for you to install for yourself. In about an hour you can have your climate/clock panel working. I did it. It looks just like it does in his picture.

Joe

I don't know about the error codes...never seen one before or after the install. You can contact Jim directly...he'll tell you.

I have commented on the color in the past. The Lexus part is translucent, whereas Jim's part has a white (ish?) opaque backing. This makes the display look brighter with more contrast, and more green than the greyish Lexus look. Also, whereas the Lexus part causes the backlight to be evenly spread across the entire panel, Jim's part looks obviously brighter in the middle and darker towards the sides.

Joe

yea, it sounds like this is a case of what i was expecting...a cheap chinese/taiwanese knockoff. i have a lot of electronic components produced overseas, it's a pretty common practice to copy something and have it turn out very inferior in order to save some bucks.

i'm not trying to bash jim for what he's done, but my guess would be that he pulled out an lcd from a climate control, sent it overseas to a lcd manufacturer and had them do their best to reproduce it. i highly doubt that he personally designed the replacement lcd, this is just the nature of our industry and a leading factor as to why "1 out of 10 high tech jobs will be lost to chinese/indian outsourcing in 2004"

considering my car is about to turn 14 in march, i can't justify spending $150 for an lcd that won't blend in, especially after hearing about the poor backlight design of the lcd. i'll be curious to hear in 2 or 3 years if the replacement lcd is still functioning from the owners that bought this kit...

I'm not sure why someone else commented on the contrast looking different from the center to the outer edges as I have also installed the LCD purchased from Jim Walker and I have no difference in contrast at all. It sounds as though he has a backlight bulb burnt out on the outer edge(s). I also had the center backlight bulb burnt out and the contrast was darker in the center until I replaced the bulb with one that Jim had sent me (at no extra charge I might add!!). The contrast on mine is even all the way across as it should be. As stated in earlier comments, the contrast is lighter, but it makes it easier to read than the original LCD. In my opionion, it's well worth the $160!! :)

Well, thanks for letting me know. I was fooled by the symmetry of the "out" bulbs. I take it that there are 3 bulbs, then, and 2 of them must be out? Very possible...it had been years since I've even bothered to look at my climate LCD.

Anyone know what bulbs these are? Available at Autzone or Kragen? I'm afraid I haven't paid enough attention to differentiate discussions about LCD backlight vs. button lights, etc. and where they can be gotten.

Thanks,

Joe