1"-1.5" Lowering Springs/kits

I would really like to use the Tein s-tech but I dont think they make them for the SC. I found this http://www.body-kits.biz/Tokico-HP-S...9-p-67850.html for various prices (I think this was the highest).

All I want is something affordable, about a 1" drop, (its hard enough for me to get my 6'3" !Removed! in the car) and a brand I've heard before or atleast has a good reputation. I'm trying to keep it around $500 but thats only if it shocks and springs, I'm guessing with a 1" drop I should be able to use the stock shocks (right?)

I have 18x9.5 with a 245/40 all around, will I have any fender issues with a 1"-1.5", I'm guessing no but I want some expert opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Blue,

If you want to lower the car Eibach offers some springs that are close to $500 and lower the car roughly 1" all around. You can still use your stock shocks/struts with the springs too unless you want something adjustable. If thats the case your price shoots up in the 1-3k range.

Check out this link to see what came up for my 95 sc400 http://allaftermarketparts.com/eibach/eiba...40/i-53773.aspx

Hope this helps a bit :D

Oh and if you have 9.5 all around you might run into issues while turning the car. Your splashguards might rub against the tires because of their width. I havent personally done this mod to my car so I cant give you a definate answer.

20 inch wheels with 50 series tires associated with coil-overs offers a wonderful drop with an enhanced stability rate... its the best set up i've seen around here... try to use coil-overs, they take that wobbling sensation out or your driving experience and they also will allow you to run a body kit with a 2 inch drop... ( body kits may drag in some areas ) :cheers:

I would really like to use the Tein s-tech but I dont think they make them for the SC. I found this http://www.body-kits.biz/Tokico-HP-S...9-p-67850.html for various prices (I think this was the highest).

All I want is something affordable, about a 1" drop, (its hard enough for me to get my 6'3" !Removed! in the car) and a brand I've heard before or atleast has a good reputation. I'm trying to keep it around $500 but thats only if it shocks and springs, I'm guessing with a 1" drop I should be able to use the stock shocks (right?)

I have 18x9.5 with a 245/40 all around, will I have any fender issues with a 1"-1.5", I'm guessing no but I want some expert opinion.

If $500 bucks is your budget, then my expert opinion is to save your money and wait longer until you can afford to do it right. Spring kits are ok, but the draw backs are the amount of lowering they produce is what you get. And that's it. If you don't like the new results, to bad, so sad, it is what it is. And I have yet to see a lowering spring kit produce a nice even drop. Most kids do the springs because they really don't care as much. They just want it to look lower. But a good set of coilovers that have adjustable ride height and can adjust firm to soft, street ride focused, and can produce a very quiet ride, will be so very worth the extra dollars to you. I have Tenabe Pro Sustec 5 coilovers on my IS350 with the TEAS controller. So the suspension softens up when I drive slow, and stiffens the faster I go. You can taylor it to how you like front and rear, and man, the ride is just so tight and smooth. Frankly I don't see how anyone would want to go another way for street applications under $2,000.00.

• 1 year later...

I think 92blubyU can get a good kit that's non-coilover for pretty cheap (posting was a while ago but issue still relevant). I was all hot-to-bother about a deluxe version of the Megan coilover (33 settings!!) but got to talking to my local alignment shop (who do lots of race and street mods) who said Megan was poor quality and they had breakage problems with several 'brandings' labelled onto one main China manufacturer (incl Megan, Skunk 2, and 2 others) . I've seen this written in several places on-line as well... Dont shoot me, I am just the messenger, god knows I wanted the convenience of an adjustable device that could let me tune my ride but they basically told me this: If I wasnt going to spend at least $2500-3000, the best solution was KYB GR-2 (341161 and 341162) shocks (and Eibach pro-Kit p/n 8230-140 to get a nice even 1" all-round drop. My cost: $616.00 total plus tax. I installed myself and saved a bundle.

Lower Control Arms: As for the driveability, I want to re-iterate again what others have said about making the SC400 a better driver : if you need front lower control arms (ball joints are not possible incredibly ) , DO NOT buy the 48068-29165 and 48069-29165 from Lexus, instead buy the same gen-u-ine Toyota parts for the Supra using 48068-14080 and 48069-14080 part numbers. 2 x $1209 OR 2 x $250...you decide. Check out Titus Will Toyota on-line in Tacoma. 1sttoyotaparts.com. I dont work there, just passing it along.

I own a 1992 SC400 and am putting a few bucks into a classic because it presents a great performance to dollar ratio for me. Cars are not an 'investment', they simply depreciate at different rates..and I got my Lexus for 5% of it's purchase price, so it's time to invest a little...and pay-forward any info that will help...all the best! Owen.