Replacing Low Beam Headlight Bulb - 1996 Es300

I have searched the forum but can't find what are the steps in changing the headlight low beam bulb on the passanger side of a '96 ES300. Do I just pull on the housing to disconnect it from the bulb or is there a tab that has to be pushed or pulled before I can do that. All other steps involved are appreciated. It's a very small working area and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks.

Ed

The bulbs lock in to the back of the headlight assembly housings so you need to turn the bulb base first before pulling it out. If the area behind the housing is too tight to get your hand in there, you might want to pull the whole headlight assembly forward to give you more room. To do this, remove the three mounting bolts located at the large plastic tabs left, right, and middle of the front of the assembly. Then just slide the assembly towards you so you can get in behind it. Once the bulb/harness is free from the housing, unplug the bulb from the harness connector by pressing the locking tab on the connector while you pull on the bulb. Remember not to touch the glass part of the new bulbs with your fingers when installing. The oils on your skin can drastically reduce the life of a halogen bulb. So, use latex gloves or a clean cloth if you think you might need it. But if you're careful, you can usually do the job by only holding the plastic base of the bulbs. If you accidentally touch the bulb glass, clean it with alcohol before installing it. It surprises me that there usually isn't a large "Warning - do not touch bulb with fingers" instruction written on the bulb packaging when you buy it. But then, I guess they are counting on ppl doing just that and having to buy another bulb in a month's time when the first one dies prematurely.... :(

The bulbs lock in to the back of the headlight assembly housings so you need to turn the bulb base first before pulling it out. If the area behind the housing is too tight to get your hand in there, you might want to pull the whole headlight assembly forward to give you more room. To do this, remove the three mounting bolts located at the large plastic tabs left, right, and middle of the front of the assembly. Then just slide the assembly towards you so you can get in behind it. Once the bulb/harness is free from the housing, unplug the bulb from the harness connector by pressing the locking tab on the connector while you pull on the bulb. Remember not to touch the glass part of the new bulbs with your fingers when installing. The oils on your skin can drastically reduce the life of a halogen bulb. So, use latex gloves or a clean cloth if you think you might need it. But if you're careful, you can usually do the job by only holding the plastic base of the bulbs. If you accidentally touch the bulb glass, clean it with alcohol before installing it. It surprises me that there usually isn't a large "Warning - do not touch bulb with fingers" instruction written on the bulb packaging when you buy it. But then, I guess they are counting on ppl doing just that and having to buy another bulb in a month's time when the first one dies prematurely.... :(

THANKS. I was able to do it from the engine compartment even though it was a VERY tight fit. I used a flat screwdriver to depress the tab on the harness and pulled the harness free. Then I used (don't laugh) a vice grip plier to begin the counterclockwise rotation of the bulb assembly. Once begun I could finish the 1/2 inch rotation to align the tabs and remove the buld. Replacing the bulb was easy. I just lined uo the tabs on the bulb assembly and pushed the bulb into place; rotated the assemble about 1/2 inch clockwise and reattached the wiring harness. I'm proud of myself that I didn't have to go to a mechanic for so easy a job.

Ed

THANKS. I was able to do it from the engine compartment even though it was a VERY tight fit. I used a flat screwdriver to depress the tab on the harness and pulled the harness free. Then I used (don't laugh) a vice grip plier to begin the counterclockwise rotation of the bulb assembly. Once begun I could finish the 1/2 inch rotation to align the tabs and remove the buld. Replacing the bulb was easy. I just lined uo the tabs on the bulb assembly and pushed the bulb into place; rotated the assemble about 1/2 inch clockwise and reattached the wiring harness. I'm proud of myself that I didn't have to go to a mechanic for so easy a job.

Ed

Glad you got it done. There should really be instructions in the owners manual for changing the headlight bulbs but the stealership would rather you spend $100 in labor to have them change the bulb for you. :angry:

If you ever have to replace one of your front turn signal bulbs, that's when you'll definitely have to pull the headlight assembly forward.