Fuel Filter Location 2002 Es 300?

Could someone please tell me where I can find the fuel filter in my 2002 ES 300? I looked around, but didn't find it. I got 66K and it's a little hard to start now, so I figure fuel filter is a good place to start. Thanks in advance.

You're gonna like the answer!!!

It's in the fuel tank, I would recomend disconnecting the battery. Then remove the bottom part of the rear seat, and you be able to access the fuel pump, sender, and filter assembly. Take care when you remove the assembly, you do not want to damage the fuel sender float.

You're gonna like the answer!!!

It's in the fuel tank, I would recomend disconnecting the battery. Then remove the bottom part of the rear seat, and you be able to access the fuel pump, sender, and filter assembly. Take care when you remove the assembly, you do not want to damage the fuel sender float.

I was afraid of that. Is there some instructions someplace I can view? My Hyundai is the same setup, and I thought that was a PITA.

• 11 months later...

As a long time Lexus AND Toyota Master Tech...I can tell you almost for sure that your problem is not the strainer in the tank - it MIGHT be the pump but still unlikely - does the engine turn over with the starter and just not start or does it no even turn over/crank?

is the fuel filter on my 96 es300 in the same place? cause it needs changing.

As for your 96...if it has the ORIGINAL filter on it...leave it alone...it was designed by Nippondenso not to plug up - I've seen thousands and thousands with 300 plus thousand miles still going strong with the original Denso filter - if you take a look at it and it has the Denso label on it with the Toyota part # on it...leave it alone...if it doesn't...get a factory filter on it then leave it alone for good - on yours it's located behind the battery down towards the transmission - follow the flexible hose from the intake to it.

is the fuel filter on my 96 es300 in the same place? cause it needs changing.

As for your 96...if it has the ORIGINAL filter on it...leave it alone...it was designed by Nippondenso not to plug up - I've seen thousands and thousands with 300 plus thousand miles still going strong with the original Denso filter - if you take a look at it and it has the Denso label on it with the Toyota part # on it...leave it alone...if it doesn't...get a factory filter on it then leave it alone for good - on yours it's located behind the battery down towards the transmission - follow the flexible hose from the intake to it.

awesome, thanks. oh and by the way the prob im having is, in the morning ill back out of my driveway, and as soon as i put it in drive and try to accelerate it will hesitate slightly. but as soon as it gets going i dont have anymore problems. like i was saying my first thought was the fuel filter, but im new to toyota/lexus products sooo... if anyone has a better thought i would appreciate it. thanks again.

• 11 years later...

Anyone have a video showing how to do this? Our seat is glued and just doesn't want to come out! So is it for SURE that a 02 Lexus es300 has the fuel filter in gas tank, accessible by removing the rear seat? We replaced all of the spark plugs and ignition coils yet she is still cutting out and throwing misfires. We rechecked that all ignition coils are working properly, so fuel filter is next step.