How To Remove Or Tighten Rear View Mirror

DaveinTX

I figured it out, it's very easy, all you need is a philips screwdriver and pliers (I used needlenose).

Where the mirror attached to stem was tight, but where the stem attached to windshield was not.

The mirror must be completely removed (hanging gently by wires) to make the entire assembly tighter on the windshield.

The mirror stem has a clip with 4 tabs that go up into the bracket on the windshield.

I did this from passenger seat, while looking up at mirror. Gently turn the mirror and stem about 1/8 turn counter clockwise, it should swivel where it mounts to windshield, do not force it, it should turn about 1/8 and then stop.

After it stops turning the tabs should be at at spot on the bracket where they can slide down and out. If the mirror turns and stops (looks like your unscrewing from windshield but it only goes 1/8 turn) gently wiggle the mirror and it should come out of the bracket. At this point you can let the mirror hang from the wires for a few min.

If you look in the mirror stem you will see a metal clip with 4 tabs held in with 1 screw, remove screw and clip.

This is where the tightening comes in, the clip with 4 tabs, the tabs are what slide into clip and hold mirrior tight. Take pliers and just slightly (just a hair) bend all 4 clips downward, if you can see a difference then you may have bent it too much. If you bend too much the clip will break, I used needlenose and I wasn't even sure if I bent them at all, but when I put the mirror back on the widshield there was a huge difference.

The mirror is very tight now, no vibration at all. One thing I do need to mention is that when I went to remove the clip from the stem the screw started coming out with almost no effort, so in my case that screw may have been loose a couple turns, I didn't think much at the time but now i'm wondering if that wasn't the case. My point is if that was the case then bending the tabs may not have been the fix, it may have been tightening the screw.

To re-install just put the clip back in stem, make sure screw is tight, insert the clip back into the bracket with mirror turned, turn the mirror gently back clockwise until the stem is vertical. hopefully your mirror is tight.

The wife is happy. Later guys, and gals-Dave

• 6 years later...

You said "The mirror is very tight now, no vibration at all. One thing I do need to mention is that when I went to remove the clip from the stem the screw started coming out with almost no effort, so in my case that screw may have been loose a couple turns, I didn't think much at the time but now i'm wondering if that wasn't the case. My point is if that was the case then bending the tabs may not have been the fix, it may have been tightening the screw."

Your assumption is correct.  Just tighten the screw.  You don't need to bend the tabs.

Thanks for you help.  I would never figured out how to do this on my own.