Wtf! Seriously

The other day i noticed my headlight was out so i took it to the shop . it couldn't have been that the bulb was burnt because i just replaced my bulbs a month or so ago so im hopping that it just came loose and yea it just needed to be set back in place...... i just got back from the shop and now they told me that its my balance and i need to do something with that. can anyone explain to me what this is because they told me that the part alone from Lexus is 5 bills not including labor. can anyone confirm this price because this sounds ridiculous just for some lights!!!!!?????......

The part is called a ballast. Its a high voltage power supply for the lamp. It is expensive. People often do not realize that HID lamps are wonderful when they work, and expensive when the don't.

The part is called a ballast. Its a high voltage power supply for the lamp. It is expensive. People often do not realize that HID lamps are wonderful when they work, and expensive when the don't.

Guy,

Why is it fairly common for them to go bad? Is it normal wear and tear, or because it has to work harder when the lamps get old. Basically my question is would it be a good idea to replace the bulbs at a certain age, or would that not make the ballast last any longer?

I was not aware that they often go bad. That is news to me. Although the ballasts primary job is to light the HID lamp, it seems to me that is an important job to do. I don't feel that replacing bulbs at any certain interval would be of any positive value. Like any other electronic component, a ballast can fail at any time.

I was not aware that they often go bad. That is news to me. Although the ballasts primary job is to light the HID lamp, it seems to me that is an important job to do. I don't feel that replacing bulbs at any certain interval would be of any positive value. Like any other electronic component, a ballast can fail at any time.

Thanks Guy. (I hope) I look forward to NO problems with mine. :P

Actually you can buy used ballast for your specific model for alot less. I get them from a place on Ebay, and I've only had one ballast come in that didn't work. I sent it back, and about a week later one that worked showed up with an apology. You should be able to get them for about 75-100 bucks.

thanks for all the replies i didnt even know what he said i thought he said balance when at the shop. so really thanks, the question i have now is does anyone know where i can find and buy the part myself from the web so i can buy it and just pay the shop labor.? thnx.

thanks for all the replies i didnt even know what he said i thought he said balance when at the shop. so really thanks, the question i have now is does anyone know where i can find and buy the part myself from the web so i can buy it and just pay the shop labor.? thnx.

Ballast is not that hard to change, you should be able to find it anywhere using Google.

Here's one on ebay for 100 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-HID-XEN...emZ370203404593

You live in the bay? I live in Modesto, CA just buy it, cruise your lexus on down here and I can help you with it....Unless, the shop isn't going to charge

you more than the gas you would waste! :)

Ballast is not that hard to change, you should be able to find it anywhere using Google.

Here's one on ebay for 100 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-HID-XEN...emZ370203404593

You live in the bay? I live in Modesto, CA just buy it, cruise your lexus on down here and I can help you with it....Unless, the shop isn't going to charge

you more than the gas you would waste! :)

nice find BUT you can get whole aftermarket kits for almost that price ALSO on ebay. just look around

try this guy...imho for the extra 40 or so i get a extra ballast and 2 bulbs ANY temp

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/nissang...:MEFSX:SELLERID