2003 Gs300 2jz Oil Change

Can anyone please, give me a step by step walk through on how to change the oil and oil filter on a 2003 GS300? I've changed oil on other cars myself though, I'm not looking to mess anything up with this car. Call me paranoid but it's a lex and yes my first one.

Also, to those pros out there that know their lexs, give me some advice on what kind of oil to use, and also what kind of oil filter I should use.

I would LOVE pictures, or even a video.

Though a detail instructional would be great!!! Feel free to throw in advice regarding anything, from overtorquing to my grammar.

THANK YOU

First off warm the engine up to operating temp. If my memory serves me correctly, You will need a 14mm whrench for the drain plug, A receptical for the old oil, A new oil filter (I use toyota brand ) and 5.7 qts. of oil (I use mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic ) The drain plug is right behind the under cover in the center of the car (Not the one further towards the rear of the car, That is the tranny plug. Wrench out the drain plug with the oil receptical under the drain plug and drain until the drips stop. Remove the oil filter and replace with new one, Put the drain plug back in ( with new crush washer if desired ) good and tight, Not too tight, Then add new oil. Just do not overfill.

• 2 years later...

That's all great info but what I REALLY want to know is how the hell to get the oil filter off of my 2003 GS300 without spilling oil down the damned engine. I did it for the first time last night and luckily I had a rag underneath it and caught most of the spillage but I'm sure there's got to be an easier way...

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

That's all great info but what I REALLY want to know is how the hell to get the oil filter off of my 2003 GS300 without spilling oil down the damned engine. I did it for the first time last night and luckily I had a rag underneath it and caught most of the spillage but I'm sure there's got to be an easier way...

Thanks in advance!

have the pan for the dirty oil sit under the filter. youre gonna have to deal with the fact of it getting on some of the engine. use brake parts cleaner right after to clean it off

Thanks in advance!

have the pan for the dirty oil sit under the filter. youre gonna have to deal with the fact of it getting on some of the engine. use brake parts cleaner right after to clean it off

I respectfully disagree -- you don't have to get a single drop of oil on the side of the engine. Get a round plastic container that is about 3.5" in diameter and cut it like shown in the picture below.

Begin the process with a few clean cotton rags within easy reach; top of the engine works for me.

Loosen the oil filter with a removal tool/wrench but do not spin it off. Position the plastic catch bottle under the oil filter assembly with the top of the bottle up against the engine and then gently spin the filter off, letting it fall right into the bottle. The oil coming from the filter housing will also be collected in the bottle.

When the oil is done dripping carefully maneuver the catch bottle to the side and immediately get a rag under the filter housing. Wipe up any stray oil and quickly install the new filter (BTW, I always use the Lexus 90915-YZZD1 oil filter) to stop any additional dripping. I also put a few ounces of clean new oil into the new filter before attaching it to the engine so it does not start up dry. Have this ready to go before you begin.

Easy and effective, plus it stops dirty oil from getting on the side of the engine, the motor mount, & the engine splash guard.

catch.jpg

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was hoping to get, someone's ingenious solution to one of the few poor designs I've run across on this car. Thanks SO much for the tip. I'll be whipping one of those up this week for sure.

B

Thanks in advance!

I respectfully disagree -- you don't have to get a single drop of oil on the side of the engine. Get a round plastic container that is about 3.5" in diameter and cut it like shown in the picture below.

Begin the process with a few clean cotton rags within easy reach; top of the engine works for me.

Loosen the oil filter with a removal tool/wrench but do not spin it off. Position the plastic catch bottle under the oil filter assembly with the top of the bottle up against the engine and then gently spin the filter off, letting it fall right into the bottle. The oil coming from the filter housing will also be collected in the bottle.

When the oil is done dripping carefully maneuver the catch bottle to the side and immediately get a rag under the filter housing. Wipe up any stray oil and quickly install the new filter (BTW, I always use the Lexus 90915-YZZD1 oil filter) to stop any additional dripping. I also put a few ounces of clean new oil into the new filter before attaching it to the engine so it does not start up dry. Have this ready to go before you begin.

Easy and effective, plus it stops dirty oil from getting on the side of the engine, the motor mount, & the engine splash guard.

catch.jpg

catch.jpg

WOW! Necessity is the mother of invention. And to think, all this time I was using a drain catch pan and a pressure washer!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the custom spill protector, nice work... I usually put a big heavu rag right under the filter to catch most of the spillage. But I might actually give this a shot. Thanx

You're welcome. With the catch bottle you won't get any oil the engine at all. Have fun....