Corrosion On Wheels

smlotr

Don't know if this has been ever posted (sorry if it has).

Has anyone had their wheels start to corrode, and the finish start rusting off?

I have an '06 garage kept, and just noticed that all wheels have some corrosion on them, some worse than others.

Any available info regarding a TSB or recall would be helpfull.

Thank you.

I have an '06 garage kept, and just noticed that all wheels have some corrosion on them, some worse than others.

Thank you.

I have experienced this with my '04 model. Lexus offered to pay 1/2 price if I buy new set of wheels for $2000 so I would pay $1000 for a set of 4 - mine is out of the 4 yr warranty so they are saying that its a favor that they are paying 50%

You can view my post here.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry366836

Nopes, there has been no TSB issued in repect to the wheel Rust. There could be minor issues, I suppose the dealer would solved thru their smart option kept under the sleeves. Where you do not have choice left!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2005 Gx - same problem. Lots of corrosion.

I'm looking at buying a 2004 GX and noticed some rust on the wheels in the pictures. Could this be covered under the CPO warranty?

Paint is not covered under the CPO warranty, maybe you can make the repair a pre-purchase condition.

I'm looking at buying a 2004 GX and noticed some rust on the wheels in the pictures. Could this be covered under the CPO warranty?

Paint is not covered under the CPO warranty, maybe you can make the repair a pre-purchase condition.

Done! Nice seeing you here too!

• 1 month later...

I just posted about this on another website. I am getting my 06 GX 470 rims replaced free of charge by Dealer. It was not easy but I would not take "NO" for an answer. My truck just turned 3 and I have 25,000 miles on it. They will be put on this week.

i had mine replaced at 32k under warranty but it was a fight too just dont accept the bs they give you because its a known prob.

I just posted about this on another website. I am getting my 06 GX 470 rims replaced free of charge by Dealer. It was not easy but I would not take "NO" for an answer. My truck just turned 3 and I have 25,000 miles on it. They will be put on this week.

Lexus of Atlantic City replaced my rims over the weekend. This wasn't planned but my truck arrived at the Dealership on a flatbed due to a alternator that went bad. So why it was there they said they would replace them. They look great and I'm quite happy. I would not have ever been satisfied with refinishing.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have this problem as well on my 07. Why was it not easy? I am hardly the confrontational type and would like to know how you approached this problem to them.

I have a 04 ES and had my rims replaced before my warranty ran out, and these rims are having some problems, in the center of the rim. Car has 72000 miles, keep it clean. Found 4 shops in the Detroit area that repair aluminum rims for about half the price of new rims. My spare is the same as the other rims. Like new.

Tim

I have a 04 ES and had my rims replaced before my warranty ran out, and these rims are having some problems, in the center of the rim. Car has 72000 miles, keep it clean. Found 4 shops in the Detroit area that repair aluminum rims for about half the price of new rims. My spare is the same as the other rims. Like new.

Tim

I am having mine done now and they seem to not replace them but refinished them. I hope that it is okay.

I have the same rims as on your '04 ES, the car has 145,000 miles on it and mine are fine...

I'm on my second set. Got all replaced under warranty. This set is doing the same thing. Around the center of the rim. Not real bad, Mich. winters are bad, lots of salt. Spare never been on the road, like new, keeping the car for a long time, I'll have these reconditioned or buy a used set of rims. Like the look of the oem rim. 72000 miles. Had first set replaced around 55000 miles.

Tim

Tim

Had mine repaired under warranty. They just sanded and repainted the rims and they look ok but you can tell it was repainted and they forgot some pitting areas in the middle hard to see areas. I am thinking of taking it back but maybe I am being too picky. If I had to do it again, I would push for new wheels....unfortunately, my warranty is up in 1000miles and when it goes back to more pitting I will be sheit Out of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 06 GX470 with the same issue. I approached the dealer b/c I saw in the warranty that corrosion was up to 6 years. I guess this is only for the body. He was trying to tell me that it was some wheel cleaner that I used or the previous owner used. I think he is full of it otherwise it would be all over the wheel. The he also said it is possibly due to hydralic fluid. It happened to a friends rx330 with black chrome and the local dealer replaced them. That is why I though I would give it a try. I don't think I will have such luck but worth a shot to get the issue fixed. I think it is a manufacture problem. I have never seen it on any other car I have owned. Just my opinion. Love the car though.

Thank you.

We have a GX470 2004 and all 4 of the wheels corroded. Because we had an extended warranty, all 4 were replaced in 2006. We also had a set of wheels with snow tires, and Lexus replaced all 4 of those.