2002 Sc430 Purchase Question

fgunnr

I am considering a 2002 SC430 for my beach car(5000 miles per year, mostly local driving). While I am also considering a 2006(for enhancements)for this use.

The local Lexus dealer has a 2002 for sale with 97,000 miles and a complete service record since 2006. It has a clean Carfax and all the body panels have matching #'s. The silver paint is a little faded, but the car has not been detailed. I have driven the car along with driving a '05 and they performed the same. I have not driven a 2006. The difference in price between the '02 and the '06 is around $20,000. The '06 has 27,000 miles and is also at the local dealer. The '06 has a 3 year certified warranty and the '02 has no warranty.

I have the cash to do either car but I am looking for the best long term cost and value since I will keep the car a long time.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002; it's nice but I would go with newer model with warranty. I also bet it's less to insure. I could not figure out the difference in rates between an '02 and later models. Safety upgrades according to my insurance company.

I have an 05 and friends with an 02 and an 06. They are all bulletproof from what I can tell, these are just made like tanks.. $20,000 is a lot.. you could invest that and just save up for the newest model when that comes out. For only 5000 miles a year, im sure it will be mostly top down and fun in the sun driving.. we sure like ours.

If your going to keep it a long time then the CPO would be the way to go, but this body style is due for a change, its been out a long time. If you wrap all your cash into a new one and then decide to change in say a year of two, there is another 20k you will have to come up with .