Replacing Struts On '99 Ls400

dthouston

How difficult is it to replace the struts - front and back - on a '99 LS 400?

I've got about 170K miles on it, and it's getting a little loose in the rear: excessive roll on high-speed lane changes, and a bit more floating sensation after a large rear suspension excursion.

I know the struts haven't failed, but they just no longer feel right (although the '99 has never had the "planted" feel - even when new - of my '90 LS400, but that's just a personal preference).

Based on other posts, I'll be going with Lexus OEM replacements, but just how complicated is replacing them myself?

Can it be done using only ramps, without a lift? How about the need for coil compresser or other special purpose tools? I have the factory service manual, but of course it doesn't provide a "difficulty level", and assumes the car will be on a lift, etc, etc.

TIA,

DT

Having driven a 90 LS400 from new until 183,000 miles and a 2000 LS400 from 3 years old/ 38,000 miles to its current 110,000 miles, and having owned both at the same time and driven them on alternate days, I'm doubting that installing new shocks on your 99 LS is going to give you what you want.

I wouldn't expect the 90 LS and the 99 LS to have much in common when it comes to how "planted" they feel -- the main thing the two cars have in common are their model names -- LS400. My 2000 LS rode and drove waaay different than my 90 LS even at 38,000 miles.

Are all the suspension bushings and other suspension components on the 99 LS in top notch condition? Do the strut bar bushings have more than 80,000 miles on them?

My 2000 LS never felt as sporty and "tossable" as my 90 LS did but it wasn't designed to be that way.

DT, I'd have to say I'm in complete agreement with '1990LS400' on this one. My current personal experiences with doing some chassis restoration work on the '99, as well as a prior '92 model all bear this out. It's unlikely that simply replacing the struts will provide the desired results, though it definitely couldn't hurt. The suspension bushings on these cars, even brand new ones, are quite soft which surely contribute to the smooth ride and overall lack of vibration, but they do seem to deteriorate fairly rapidly (under 100K of true service life) in many cases. Depends how the car was driven as well as how tolerant one is of various clunks and general looseness. Many choose to simply ignore it or are unaware of the symptoms. Since the degradation occurs so slowly over time it's possible for one to forget how different the vehicle rode years prior. Or in my case, simply purchasing someone elses higher-mileage car which had simply never had anything chassis-related done on it.

We recently had my friends '91 LS up on a lift (115K - purchased new and never abused) and were stunned how much play has developed in many of the suspension components (all original). He will be undertaking a timing belt/water pump/tensioners replacement shortly and is now opting to replace several other key components such as the strut rod bushings, trans mount, and sway bar bushings at the same time. Purchased online these original Lexus parts are not ridiculously expensive. Barring any major unforeseen situations, these components (less than $1,000 worth total) should provide the car with another 100K++ of reliable, comfortable transportation. Think it works out to all of $50 a year or so amortized over time... or roughly the cost of one tank of gas. B) I couldn't help but note that even at 18 years of age, the car rides and drives far better than most brand new vehicles. The paint still shines brilliantly and the leather shows no cracking and only very minimal overall wear. Not a squeak or rattle to be found, and still the original R-12 refrigerant in the A/C system! Since the resale value of these greatly overlooked cars is now next to nothing, it just makes sense to do the work and keep it for eternity. Again, a testament to the solidity of the original engineering and the mandate from above to build the finest luxury automobile the world had ever seen. In retrospect, it's hard to argue that on most levels they achieved all of their objectives. Please keep us all posted.

Having driven a 90 LS400 from new until 183,000 miles and a 2000 LS400 from 3 years old/ 38,000 miles to its current 110,000 miles, and having owned both at the same time and driven them on alternate days, I'm doubting that installing new shocks on your 99 LS is going to give you what you want.

I wouldn't expect the 90 LS and the 99 LS to have much in common when it comes to how "planted" they feel -- the main thing the two cars have in common are their model names -- LS400. My 2000 LS rode and drove waaay different than my 90 LS even at 38,000 miles.

Are all the suspension bushings and other suspension components on the 99 LS in top notch condition? Do the strut bar bushings have more than 80,000 miles on them?

My 2000 LS never felt as sporty and "tossable" as my 90 LS did but it wasn't designed to be that way.

thanks for the information, any thoughts on changing the ball joints with over 115k on them.. just curious if doing this before the ball joints go bad will provide any increase in ride or handling for a 98 ls..

thanks

thanks for the information, any thoughts on changing the ball joints with over 115k on them.. just curious if doing this before the ball joints go bad will provide any increase in ride or handling for a 98 ls..

thanks

not really, well not drastically anyways.

and no, you can't do it on ramps. if you've never done a suspension job and arent handy enough (or willing to dig deep into the car) then just have it done. it's not an overly complex job if you'vbe done some suspension work before, or even i you've got a friend there willing to help you who has, but alone i'd say you're endangering your own well being.

plus you'll need a jack, jackstands, and an impact wrench (good one).