Multi Shield Protection Worth It?

Just bought a new 2008 RX400h. Thinking about one of the upsells they promoted in the finance manager office. Multi shield protection program for 5 years, around $800.

Includes application of paint sealant and protectant as well as interior leather protectant. Includes annual re-application.

Includes minor dent & ding repair - can be done any time for non paint dings.

Windshield replacement.

All work done by the lexus service department at the dealer I purchased.

Any thoughts?

I did purchase the windshield/ding protection for my IS. It was a great move as I've already had 4 or 5 dings repaired. However, they didn't have it when I purchased my 400h. The RX doesn't ding as easily but in 3.8 years, I've paid to have 2 dings fixed. One was huge, (in NYC someone tried to create a new lane and just hit my car!) I actually had brought it to a body shop and the cost was prohibitive so they suggested bringing it back to the ding man. If you purchased at the same dealership I did, the ding person is very capable!

I would check to see under what circumstances the windshield can be replaced. The worst that has happened to our windshield in 4+ years is a small chip that was repaired for about $70. Other than that, we would have never spent $800 for anything else. Now if you can have the windshield replaced because of normal sand-caused shipping, then there may be value in the plan. Much may depend upon where and how often you drive.

There is no chance I would waste $800 for that. That is one of the dealers favorite sucker bets.

I did buy a 3M Clear Bra Overlay for the front of my Rx400 on Ebay for < $200. Installed it myself. It is awesome for preventing front end dings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Agreed, skip it.

+1

Now, the bumper to bumper extended warranty? Well, THAT's one we did buy. Only because the prior 2 that we bought paid for their self (Range Rover & Prius). Heck, the last use on the RR was a little yellow dash light, "Maintenance Required". No symptoms. The dealer called to say, "we're replacing the tranny". That alone would have cost us $6,000 back in 2002. The hybrids had flakey MDF's when they 1st came out. Ours was done out of the origianl 36K warranty, under the extended one. Again ... paying for itself. Admittedly, it's a crap shoot ... like in Vegas ... sometime they pay off ... other times you spent your money for nothing. So even if we never use the 400h extended warranty, we're still batting well over 600.