Rx300 Steering Wheel Locks While Car In Motion

Solace

I have read through other threads about the steering wheel locking up while the car was parked or stationary, so please don't recommend that I read those post.

I was driving a 2001 RX300. I was on turning in one of those U-turn lanes on I-35, the car was in motion when the steering wheel locked up and would not unlock. I basically stopped the car and had to sit there w/my flashers on while car manuvered around me. Blessfully, I was on the access road of I-35 otherwise it might have been a major disaster. :o

Some guys who stopped to help managed to get the steering wheel to turn the other way, but it locked up again. We just drove it into the ditch to get it off the road.

1. Has this ever happened to anyone else while the car was in mothion?

2. What was the remedy?

3. What was discovered to be the cause?

Thank you,

Solace

I have read through other threads about the steering wheel locking up while the car was parked or stationary, so please don't recommend that I read those post.

I was driving a 2001 RX300. I was on turning in one of those U-turn lanes on I-35, the car was in motion when the steering wheel locked up and would not unlock. I basically stopped the car and had to sit there w/my flashers on while car manuvered around me. Blessfully, I was on the access road of I-35 otherwise it might have been a major disaster. :o

Some guys who stopped to help managed to get the steering wheel to turn the other way, but it locked up again. We just drove it into the ditch to get it off the road.

1. Has this ever happened to anyone else while the car was in mothion?

2. What was the remedy?

3. What was discovered to be the cause?

Thank you,

Solace

Thank God it happened where it did. I'm glad for you that it WASN'T disastrous. I have read of it before, but never as convincingly as you. I don't have an answer for you but I hope you had that thing flat bedded to the nearest Lexus shop.

If it is locking up the key cylinder pin is disengaging causing the wheel to activate the pin as if the key is removed from the cylinder tumbler.

Try cleaning the cylinder first or go to a lock smith.

that is a pretty serious thing to have happen. I have never heard of that before and don't like the sounds of it at all. Fill us in on details when you find out why.

Well, here's the rest of the story: The car got towed back to the Lexus dealership and the lock mechanism was worked on. I also got a new key made and programmed because there was a lot of "play" between the key and the lock chamber (The key wiggled around in the shafts.).

This is the explaination that the dealer gave of the repair work that addressed the steering wheel locking while the car was in motion:

" The technician who had originally serviced the lock cylinder replaced

the locking pin backwards, resulting in the steering column locking up

while you were driving it. That was repaired and checked..."

I'm hoping this will prevent the locking up issue while the car is in motion.

It would seem that this kind of thing may need to be checked periodically. How often? I don't know. ...but it was quite unsettling to be sitting in a lane while traffic zipped around me. If I had have been on I-35 instead of the access road OR was towing something, the story might have been tragic.

Thank you guys for your concern and suggestions.

Solace

• 3 weeks later...
So the car was previously serviced for a similar type of problem ?

To my knowlege, no. It was a trade-in and the mech was prepping it for sale. ..so he was maintenancing the key cylinder mechanism. From the what I have read on the forum, steering wheel lockups seem to be a common occurence. The mech probably knew that so he was checking that area out as part of the prep.

Solace B)

• 11 years later...