Es330 2005 Air Conditioning Problem

I am the proud owner of a lexus es330 Oasis Green model with Nav 17" wheels cashmere leather etc

At 34K i took my vehicle in for service and brought an Air Conditioning defect to the attention of my "Elite Dealership" Lexus Carlsbad of California. The diagnosis was that the freon was low and freon was added and the vacuum checked and no leaks found. Now being an Engineering manager of a significant private company I am not an imbecile when it comes down to engineering principles and technical knowledge of equipment . However knowing what I know about Air conditioning and the like ...having noticed that the freon charge was low the Service advisor told me verbally that the air conditioning had no freon in it and he had the technician recharge the system with a colorant dye added in case there was a leak evident. I was sent on my merry way with the AC cooling as I expected :)

Now at 49K I took my car to the same "Elite dealership" and told the service advisor to make sure the car is given a thorough inspection and any defects located . None found and none reported .

54K ....Oooh dear ...4K passed my 50K warranty period my air conditioning seemed to be intermittent and not really cold...take to my "Elite dealer" and mention that the problem has reoccurred and as it was a "latent defect" previous "repaired" by my "elite dealer" under warranty I felt that they would step up and repair as necessary even though I was now passed my 50K warranty...

OOh how wrong I was ....no amount of pleading with the dealer would repair this "latent defect" under a previously flagged up repair' at no cost to me .....

Here's the diagnosis of my 2.5 year old air conditioning system :

Need to replace the Evaporator coil, Expansion Valve and Liquid line drier on a 2.5 year old car .....cost $2000

I was originally told that "lexus" would pay for parts and I'd have to pay the $1400 labor cost to install said parts . I later found the repair was $1941.00 so baically I was to foot all but the $541.00 parts charge.

I was also referred to the Lexus Satisfaction center 1-800-25-LEXUS so they may intervene and assist me with these costs remember this is a previous "latent defect" repaired under warranty ...( a quick shot of R134a refrigerant) cost around $20 from any good AC retailer ...

Here's the latest breaking news Lexus Customer satisfaction have decided that although this was a "Latent defect" repaired by my "Elite Dealer" under warranty .. I am able to have the car repaired on a 50/50 split ( a $1000 charge to me !!!! )

So if you are in the market for a "luxury car " with exceptional customer service as detailed below :

The Elite of Lexus Are Leaders

This is a special award given to Dealers who excel at sales, service and overall Owner support. We are proud to be recipients of this year's "Elite of Lexus" award.

Elite of Lexus dealers are chosen based on:

Customer feedback from surveys rating owner satisfaction, sales and service as extremely exceptional.

Dealership exceeding rigorous Lexus operational and certification standards.

We received this honor because so many of our current and past customers have acknowledged their satisfaction with our service and attention to detail. We invite you to stop by our Dealership and experience this exceptional service firsthand.

Please find some other brand Mercedes, BMW (Free service and brakes), Infiniti, who offer the same "elite kind" of service but stand by their product, their customer satisfaction, and warranty repairs UNLIKE LEXUS.

Be warned this the old adage of "once bitten twice shy" stands here .

The Lexus once repaired will be sold and the money used to purchase any of the above who will do the right thing when it comes to Customer satisfaction ....I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE A LEXUS VEHICLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE......DUE TO THE TREATMENT I HAVE RECEIVED AT MY ELITE DEALERSHIP at LEXUS CARLSBAD California .

Here is my 2 cents: Bad economy, so dealers are all trying not to give free services if they don't have to. If you notice, a lot of dealership repairs are slow these days because they are freaking expensive and have to feed expensive union guys. They might have to try to brush you off from the 1st repair since they knew this is going to be an expensive fix. There got to be a reason for leaking so much freon to begin with. I can see this is an 8-hour for one tech because he got to rid out the whole dashboard from left to right.

If you took your car somewhere else, it might be a lot cheaper to repair.

In your case of evaporator coil, it's hard to say why it failed some early so. I can see why the tech didn't spot the leak because the evaporator coil is inside the car's HVAC. One reason for premature failure could be the AC is not turned on during the weather. the AC system needs to be used like 15 min every other week.

...having noticed that the freon charge was low the Service advisor told me verbally that the air conditioning had no freon in it and he had the technician recharge the system with a colorant dye added in case there was a leak evident. I was sent on my merry way with the AC cooling as I expected :)

You do not mention a follow up after they added the dye. The system was obviously leaking and they added dye to try to pinpoint the leak. If they did not locate the leak at the time they added the dye, they should have had you come back within a week to check for the dye. Since they ultimately found that the evaporator was leaking, the dye should have been obvious at the drain tube.

Need to replace the Evaporator coil, Expansion Valve and Liquid line drier on a 2.5 year old car .....cost $2000

The leak was probably the evaporator, they replaced the expansion valve just in case. The liguid line dryer was replaced because it is a common practice, it acts somewhat as a filter and as such is generally treated like one.

I used to work at a chrysler dealership, and heard similar stories. Unfortunately is sounds like if you had pursuded the initial problem, when they first added the dye, you probably could have had it repaired under warranty. As it should have been. But too many dealers will try to slip anything by the customer. While I was working at the dealership, I brought my dodge ram in for tranny work. They tried to tell me that labor was not covered, (and I was working as a mechanic for them). I could go on about the different pay rates for customer, warranty, and recall, and all the other bs. But the bottom line is that unfortunately you can not take anything at face value. You have to do the research, and ask the proper questions. On the flip side, be firm and assertive with the service people, but overbearing and rude (as some people are) is a very poor strategy.

In your case of evaporator coil, it's hard to say why it failed some early so. I can see why the tech didn't spot the leak because the evaporator coil is inside the car's HVAC. One reason for premature failure could be the AC is not turned on during the weather. the AC system needs to be used like 15 min every other week.

Adding dye to a system should have easily caught this one, with the evaporator leaking, the dye would come out the drain tube. Normally they may not see it right away, but calling it back in soon after adding the dye, they should have seen it. If it is not inspected soon after the dye is added, it will ultimately be washed away by the condensate.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is my 2 cents: Bad economy, so dealers are all trying not to give free services if they don't have to. If you notice, a lot of dealership repairs are slow these days because they are freaking expensive and have to feed expensive union guys. They might have to try to brush you off from the 1st repair since they knew this is going to be an expensive fix. There got to be a reason for leaking so much freon to begin with. I can see this is an 8-hour for one tech because he got to rid out the whole dashboard from left to right.

If you took your car somewhere else, it might be a lot cheaper to repair.

The ac is on all the time the car is driven :)

I am the proud owner of a lexus es330 Oasis Green model with Nav 17" wheels cashmere leather etc

At 34K i took my vehicle in for service and brought an Air Conditioning defect to the attention of my "Elite Dealership" Lexus Carlsbad of California. The diagnosis was that the freon was low and freon was added and the vacuum checked and no leaks found. Now being an Engineering manager of a significant private company I am not an imbecile when it comes down to engineering principles and technical knowledge of equipment . However knowing what I know about Air conditioning and the like ...having noticed that the freon charge was low the Service advisor told me verbally that the air conditioning had no freon in it and he had the technician recharge the system with a colorant dye added in case there was a leak evident. I was sent on my merry way with the AC cooling as I expected :)

Now at 49K I took my car to the same "Elite dealership" and told the service advisor to make sure the car is given a thorough inspection and any defects located . None found and none reported .

54K ....Oooh dear ...4K passed my 50K warranty period my air conditioning seemed to be intermittent and not really cold...take to my "Elite dealer" and mention that the problem has reoccurred and as it was a "latent defect" previous "repaired" by my "elite dealer" under warranty I felt that they would step up and repair as necessary even though I was now passed my 50K warranty...

OOh how wrong I was ....no amount of pleading with the dealer would repair this "latent defect" under a previously flagged up repair' at no cost to me .....

I was originally told that "lexus" would pay for parts and I'd have to pay the $1400 labor cost to install said parts . I later found the repair was $1941.00 so baically I was to foot all but the $541.00 parts charge.

I was also referred to the Lexus Satisfaction center 1-800-25-LEXUS so they may intervene and assist me with these costs remember this is a previous "latent defect" repaired under warranty ...( a quick shot of R134a refrigerant) cost around $20 from any good AC retailer ...

Here's the latest breaking news Lexus Customer satisfaction have decided that although this was a "Latent defect" repaired by my "Elite Dealer" under warranty .. I am able to have the car repaired on a 50/50 split ( a $1000 charge to me !!!! )

So if you are in the market for a "luxury car " with exceptional customer service as detailed below :

The Elite of Lexus Are Leaders

This is a special award given to Dealers who excel at sales, service and overall Owner support. We are proud to be recipients of this year's "Elite of Lexus" award.

Elite of Lexus dealers are chosen based on:

Customer feedback from surveys rating owner satisfaction, sales and service as extremely exceptional.

Dealership exceeding rigorous Lexus operational and certification standards.

We received this honor because so many of our current and past customers have acknowledged their satisfaction with our service and attention to detail. We invite you to stop by our Dealership and experience this exceptional service firsthand.

Please find some other brand Mercedes, BMW (Free service and brakes), Infiniti, who offer the same "elite kind" of service but stand by their product, their customer satisfaction, and warranty repairs UNLIKE LEXUS.

Be warned this the old adage of "once bitten twice shy" stands here .

The Lexus once repaired will be sold and the money used to purchase any of the above who will do the right thing when it comes to Customer satisfaction ....I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE A LEXUS VEHICLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE......DUE TO THE TREATMENT I HAVE RECEIVED AT MY ELITE DEALERSHIP at LEXUS CARLSBAD California .

As a follow up to this report I asked the dealership to give me the parts they replaced ie the Evaporator coil the expansion valve and the liquid line drier. I never got the liquid line drier so I assume that I now have a contaminated system which will fail again sometime soon....grrrr...I tried to see the liquid line drier but can't locate it ...plus of course now my air con is not really that cold when on cold ...another trip back to the elite dealer me thinks ...OMG should have bought a Chrysler with the lifetime government warranty ....whatever that covers ...in the 50K that the chrysler would manage lol .

Since you are in California I would report this to the Bureau of Automotive Repair and get assigned a case. Have all of your records available. Give them your complaint to be investigated....

Sounds like the dealer is really butchering the whole job. Sorry to hear that it is not that cold anymore. Chances are they added too much oil to the system. If you have all your paperwork from the start, I would suggest taking the problem above the local dealership.

Sounds like the dealer is really butchering the whole job. Sorry to hear that it is not that cold anymore. Chances are they added too much oil to the system. If you have all your paperwork from the start, I would suggest taking the problem above the local dealership.

Thanks for the info Ill try another elite dealership ...maybe

Since you are in California I would report this to the Bureau of Automotive Repair and get assigned a case. Have all of your records available. Give them your complaint to be investigated....

Thanks for the info Ill call them and see what I need to do to get this rolling ...

Well first of all, your car is not 2.5 years old, its 4 years old. 2005-2009 is 4 years. If it was 2.5 years old then its 2007...which obviously it is not.

Did you ever take the car back to the dealer to have them look for the dye?

I don't know what else they could have done if you never brought the car back to them to look for the dye. If the freon is low, theres a leak somewhere and they obviously knew that because they added the dye...they recharged the system and it worked fine for another 20,000 miles, until obviously the freon evaporated again and that burned out the evaporator coil.

You say you took the car back at 49k miles and had them do a "thorough check", well that that point any dye would be gone. You needed to take the car back a week or so later to look for the dye.

They did intervene to assist you...they split the cost with you 50/50...

I was originally told that "lexus" would pay for parts and I'd have to pay the $1400 labor cost to install said parts . I later found the repair was $1941.00 so baically I was to foot all but the $541.00 parts charge

Well...if they told you that the repair was around $2,000 and that you would have to pay the $1400 labor cost, how much did you think the parts were? $2,000-$1400=$600. Sounds like their estimate was pretty accurate. What did you "later" find out?

Just completed filing my complaint with the BAR I await their response and will keep you all informed thanks again for the advice

Well first of all, your car is not 2.5 years old, its 4 years old. 2005-2009 is 4 years. If it was 2.5 years old then its 2007...which obviously it is not.

Did you ever take the car back to the dealer to have them look for the dye?

I don't know what else they could have done if you never brought the car back to them to look for the dye. If the freon is low, theres a leak somewhere and they obviously knew that because they added the dye...they recharged the system and it worked fine for another 20,000 miles, until obviously the freon evaporated again and that burned out the evaporator coil.

You say you took the car back at 49k miles and had them do a "thorough check", well that that point any dye would be gone. You needed to take the car back a week or so later to look for the dye.

They did intervene to assist you...they split the cost with you 50/50...

I was originally told that "lexus" would pay for parts and I'd have to pay the $1400 labor cost to install said parts . I later found the repair was $1941.00 so baically I was to foot all but the $541.00 parts charge

Well...if they told you that the repair was around $2,000 and that you would have to pay the $1400 labor cost, how much did you think the parts were? $2,000-$1400=$600. Sounds like their estimate was pretty accurate. What did you "later" find out?

I bought the car in august 2006 so as previously mentioned the car was 2.5 years old when this transpired....sorry about this but i had the service advisor tell me my car was a four year old car with my invoice showing I purchased in august 2006... anyways the parts on my invoice which doesn't include the liquid line drier replacement came to around $600. The thorough check was the 50K service ...no one told me to come back to check for the dye leak ...oh and sorry it was the condensor assy that leaked not the evaporator coil ..I'm now awaiting reply fom the california BAR to see what their remedy is ....I would have expected my "Elite Dealership" could have hired a decent enough Auto technician with his EPA cert so that this would have been resolved in one shot .

If you purchased a 2005 car in August of 2006 it was not new...even though the car was purchased in August of 2006 that doesn't change the fact that it was manufactured in 2005...or even 2004 depending on how early in the model year it was built. The car existed and was presumably operated before you bought it. I can't believe a new 05 would still be on a dealer's lot in August of '06 when the '07s were coming out. The car is 4-5 years old...thats a fact. Look on the drivers doorjamb, it will show the manufacturing month and year of the car.

Why do you think that they put dye in the system at 34k miles if nobody was ever going to look for the dye. Like you said you apparently are an engineer...would that make sense to you? Had you had the dealer look at the car after they put the dye in you're right, it would have been taken care of in one swoop. But YOU didn't. The dealer can't make you bring the car in.

You are not without culpability here. My feeling is that they did indeed suggest you come back in to have the dye looked at, or maybe they figured you would be in for your next service in 5k miles and didn't come back until 49k miles, or something like that. Your A/C was working just fine so you didn't bother to take the car back in to have the dye looked at, and the freon evaporated again and it destroyed the condenser. I think their offer to pay for the repair 50/50 is more than fair.

Now if its not operating properly now after the repair thats a different issue, take it back and I bet they will make it right.

Its a car and it needs maintenance and it has a warranty period just like anything else. They did what they told you was a temporary repair at 35k miles and you neglected to follow up on that repair to have them look for the dye and the condensor failed after another 20k miles. Your fault. The dealer services hundreds of cars, you have to stay on top of maintaining your vehicle yourself.

If you want to file lawsuits and waste your time thats your business, but at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. The car is out of warranty...you could have purchased an extended warranty if you wanted to. You keep saying "elite dealership" like that means something. It means their customers have rated them highly, thats all. Same techs...same cars. Better service maybe. Also leads me to believe that this is more your fault than theirs.

BMW and MB have improved, we have to give them credit, but reports show that Lexus is still pretty high in reliability and quality rankings.

I think what's getting to the BMW owners (obviously I'm a BMW owner but I don't have the same frame of thought they do) is that they brag that there isn't a non-luxury counterpart with their company. We all know (and I admit) that hands down MB and Lexus do not compare in terms of performance and handling of BMWs but that's all they really could brag about. For a lot of people who need the most for their hard earned money, I know buying a luxury car may sound ridiculous to them but if they were to choose a luxury car that will last them and give them the most for their money, LEXUS is the only way to go :cheers::cheers:

Well I have friends who own both BMWs and Mercedes and all wish they had bought Lexus..for the reliability

And then in another forum you post this today...while saying here you will never buy another Lexus vehicle and we should all buy BMWs or Mercedes. You gotta get real here.

I believe the real issue here is the dealership, not everyone is knowledgeable to know that you are supposed to take it back for leaks with the detector, however it should have shown up while they tested it. The dealership is clearly at fault, as they did not diagnose the problem correctly. The condensor can break, especially since it can get a micro hole from a stone,etc. As for filing a complaint with the Bureau, that is to protect the dealer as well as the consummer as they will arbitrate the sequence of repairs and determine who should pick up the tab or what percentage. Sorry SW03S I think you are coming down a little hard on this person. You and I know that if they had to charge it there was a leak, that the dealer didnt diagnose to fix. A good dealership would have told him to come back and check it. This person is frustrated and they are not taking care of their shoddy work. I know problems are hard to find, but when they are found, there should not be further charges when he has been there more than twice for the same problem.

I also believe that it is mainly the dealers fault. Most people to not understand what the dye is, or how it is used. The question is, did the dealer make it clear that they needed the car back , and what time frame to bring it back in? Maybe the dealer did, or maybe they forgot to.

One thing is clear. replacing the evaporator, expansion valve and drier is a very common repair. I used to work at a chrysler dealership, from this type of repair, it is evident that they determined that the evaporator was leaking. The expansion valve was probably replaced because it is a high failure rate, and we always replaced it when the evap was replaced. The drier is replaced because the system was opened.

I feel that the dealer should have at least given him more of a break, considering that the initial problem was documented under warrenty. The fact that it sounds like they released the car to the owner when it was not cooling down properly is clearly the dealers fault. It is possible that the new expansion valve is defective, but more likely that they added a little too much oil. Either way they should have verfied that it was working properly before returning the car. Obviously they should as the very least, correct the current problem.

You don't have all the facts, and niether do I. Niether one of us can say for certain who is at fault, but he's said several things that lead me to believe he is...

The dealer did the only thing they can do to find a leak...recharged the system with the dye! What else were they supposed to do? I find it very hard to believe that they would have told him that they had infused the system with a dye and not said anything about needing to look at the car to see if they could find the dye anywhere. By his own admission he is an engineer...I'm not an engineer and when someone tells me they put a dye in something to look for leaks...it occurs to me that someone has to...look for the leaks.

More of a break...they split the repair 50/50 on an out of warranty car with a loopy customer, what more do you want?

Like I said before, the issue with it not cooling properly now is totally seperate.

If it were within 5k miles I'd agree with you Lenore, but with 20,000 miles seperating the two visits its not for sure the same problem. Who knows what could have happened to the system over 20,000 miles...it could have developed another leak...

• 8 months later...
If you purchased a 2005 car in August of 2006 it was not new...even though the car was purchased in August of 2006 that doesn't change the fact that it was manufactured in 2005...or even 2004 depending on how early in the model year it was built. The car existed and was presumably operated before you bought it. I can't believe a new 05 would still be on a dealer's lot in August of '06 when the '07s were coming out. The car is 4-5 years old...thats a fact. Look on the drivers doorjamb, it will show the manufacturing month and year of the car.

Why do you think that they put dye in the system at 34k miles if nobody was ever going to look for the dye. Like you said you apparently are an engineer...would that make sense to you? Had you had the dealer look at the car after they put the dye in you're right, it would have been taken care of in one swoop. But YOU didn't. The dealer can't make you bring the car in.

You are not without culpability here. My feeling is that they did indeed suggest you come back in to have the dye looked at, or maybe they figured you would be in for your next service in 5k miles and didn't come back until 49k miles, or something like that. Your A/C was working just fine so you didn't bother to take the car back in to have the dye looked at, and the freon evaporated again and it destroyed the condenser. I think their offer to pay for the repair 50/50 is more than fair.

Now if its not operating properly now after the repair thats a different issue, take it back and I bet they will make it right.

Its a car and it needs maintenance and it has a warranty period just like anything else. They did what they told you was a temporary repair at 35k miles and you neglected to follow up on that repair to have them look for the dye and the condensor failed after another 20k miles. Your fault. The dealer services hundreds of cars, you have to stay on top of maintaining your vehicle yourself.

If you want to file lawsuits and waste your time thats your business, but at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. The car is out of warranty...you could have purchased an extended warranty if you wanted to. You keep saying "elite dealership" like that means something. It means their customers have rated them highly, thats all. Same techs...same cars. Better service maybe. Also leads me to believe that this is more your fault than theirs.

Well here we are running the repaired AC and it works fine when the weather is cold ..however when I get a warm day (we have lots of them in California ) my AC light starts flashing !!! and I lose the AC functionality ...

I have the car maintained every 5K as per the manual and the (Elite) dealership failed to see any dye leaks therefore I'd assume there weren't any ! Plus who usually runs the AC in the winter months ? Anyways the car will be going in for another repair . BARS where very helpful and I was told that any future issues be brought to the VP of the servicing dept and guess what I am certain he has the authority to ensure this customer receives the service I expected ...I wont waste my time with lawsuits the car will be topped off with Freon and sold back to the dealership in the event of the issue still being a problem .

The car was bought off the lot and registered new in august 2006 ...it was a late 2005 model brand new registered in 2006 so it was a new car