How To Fix Loose Lug Nut Covers

95 ES300. For the last week or so I have been trying to find the source of a rattling sound which sometimes seemed to come from the front and sometimes from the rear. Noticeable only at low speeds, especially when next to a barrier or wall. Well, after checking just about everything else, the source turned out to be that 3 of the 4 little plastic covers over the lug nuts were loose enough to rattle around. Must have been a ham-handed technician who rotated the tires last time - less than a month ago, in fact.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? Blob of rubber cement or some such on the tabs?

GM1995ES,

You are referring to the wheel centre caps and not the lug nuts. Over time they may lose some of their spring and become loose and rattle, or fall out altogether. What I have done in the past on other cars is to put two or three turns of electrical tape around the spring prongs that seat into the centre of the alloy wheel. This effectively increases the diameter of the centre cap making it lock tightly into the wheel. If you find two or three layers isn't enough to do the trick, simply add more till your problem is solved. Good Luck!

95 ES300. For the last week or so I have been trying to find the source of a rattling sound which sometimes seemed to come from the front and sometimes from the rear. Noticeable only at low speeds, especially when next to a barrier or wall. Well, after checking just about everything else, the source turned out to be that 3 of the 4 little plastic covers over the lug nuts were loose enough to rattle around. Must have been a ham-handed technician who rotated the tires last time - less than a month ago, in fact.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? Blob of rubber cement or some such on the tabs?

This happened to mine. Just take off the caps and apply slight outward pressure to each metalic tab and snap it back on. It will restore the tight fit it previously had.

Hope that helps,

Snes

• 2 weeks later...

You are referring to the wheel centre caps and not the lug nuts.

Just take off the caps and apply slight outward pressure to each metalic tab and snap it back on.

Right on of course with the description, and the fix! Turns out several of the tabs were bent way in - straightening them out fixed the problem.