2001 Lexus Ls 430 Navigation Update Disaster!

My friend decided to update his navigation in his 2001 lexus ls 430

Right in the middle of the update, it gave a disc read error. Does anyone know how to reset the thing to factory defaults? I tried to put the original disc (from 2000, ver 1) back in and it gives a disc read error. I know it can't be the ECU reader because it always worked fine until we tried to upgrade it.

Like I said, I would just like to get it back to the way it was... I would hate to have to take it to lexus.

I was trying to update it to Gen 3 ver 7.1

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks - David

You're going to want to use a genuine update disc to update the nav....thats your issue.

I can't see spending $380 for lexus to update the nav. I might be able to find the disc someplace but am kind of skeptical of ordering things from eBay or other re-sellers. I have heard there are a ton of bad discs that are sold.

My friend game me the image and I re-burned it in DVD-ROM mode. It seems to read now in the ecu!

At this point I just want to know how to reset the navigation... and start all over

I will post what I find out... But any help is appriciated.

You're going to want to use a genuine update disc to update the nav....thats your issue.

I can't see spending $380 for lexus to update the nav. I might be able to find the disc someplace but am kind of skeptical of ordering things from eBay or other re-sellers. I have heard there are a ton of bad discs that are sold.

My friend game me the image and I re-burned it in DVD-ROM mode. It seems to read now in the ecu!

At this point I just want to know how to reset the navigation... and start all over

I can't say this will be true for your LS 430, but for my 2004, I tried pulling ECU fuses and that didn't work. When I pulled the battery negative cable off for a few minutes, then restored it, the nav system re-loaded. Apparently, there is another power line going to the ecu (to maintain the memory) that doesn't go through the indicated ECU fuses in mine. Maybe yours?

I was worried I'd loose a bunch of memorized settings throughout the car, but only lost the previous destinations list. Not bad.

Hope this helps.

I can't say this will be true for your LS 430, but for my 2004, I tried pulling ECU fuses and that didn't work. When I pulled the battery negative cable off for a few minutes, then restored it, the nav system re-loaded. Apparently, there is another power line going to the ecu (to maintain the memory) that doesn't go through the indicated ECU fuses in mine. Maybe yours?

I was worried I'd loose a bunch of memorized settings throughout the car, but only lost the previous destinations list. Not bad.

Hope this helps.

I will try that and see what I find out. I know the 2004 LS has a new ECU in it, but it's quite possible it will reset everything by disconnecting the battery.

I will let you know what I find out...

• 1 year later...

So what happened when you pulled the battery cable?

And, where can one get an imabe to burn?

In your last thread someone gave you a link to Sewell's website where you can buy a legal navigation update for your 03 LS430 for only $135.20 after registering with your forum member name: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67823&st=0&p=426200&fromsearch=1entry426200

I can almost see why people messed with pirated nav disks back when prices were much higher but why bother when they are now so cheap?

BTW, I've bought parts from Sewell numerous times and found their prices and service to be first rate.

The information is copyrighted so do you want us to guide you on how to steal the information? No thanks.

My local dealer matched the Sewell price when asked. I got an original disk. Installed in 3 minutes, no problems, no headaches. Maybe the $140 isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

• 8 years later...

Hi all, 

I seem to have the same problem as the OP. I have a 2001 LS430 (love it!) and put in an upgraded disk and got an error message. So I put back the original factory disk and still get the same  "Disk read error. Check disk" message and can't click the "I agree". I tried the negative battery method suggested and it started reloading for a few seconds and then gave the same error message. Any other ideas? ... besides a trip to the dealer 

Thanks

On 11/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, Brownize said:

Hi all, 

I seem to have the same problem as the OP. I have a 2001 LS430 (love it!) and put in an upgraded disk and got an error message. So I put back the original factory disk and still get the same  "Disk read error. Check disk" message and can't click the "I agree". I tried the negative battery method suggested and it started reloading for a few seconds and then gave the same error message. Any other ideas? ... besides a trip to the dealer 

Thanks

Did you use an original generation 2/3 disc?  If you used a later generation disc or a pirated disc, it might have updated the navigation system software from which there may be no return.  Navigation updates usually didn't change the way the system looked or functioned other than one of the early updates eliminated the need to press "I agree". 

The only discs that work to update a generation 2/3 system have part numbers like the following:

West Dealers:  PT219-GN23W-XX

East Dealers:  PT219-GN23E-XX

The "XX" in the above part numbers represent the update year.  The last year an update was issued for generation 2/3 was 2013, e.g. the part numbers for that update would end in "-13".

IIRC, it's possible to update the generation 2/3 system to generation 4 by installing a generation 4 DVD drive and using a generation 4 disc but there's not much interest in doing that anymore since the last generation 4 update was in 2015.