Neutral Transmission Position

Budpar3

There are two pages of directions/instructions to place the drive wheels in "neutral," electronically disconnecting the transmission. I would suppose that this would allow the vehicle to be towed "4 wheels down."

The manual, however, states that it is expressly forbidden to tow the vehicle "4 wheels down," and doing so would void the warranty. The manual specifically shows a 570 behind a motorhome with the red circle and slash over the 570.

My question: Why have a "neutral" position which disconnects the drive wheels from the transmission when towing is forbidden?

B.

I'm sure in emergency situations like if it were needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck, you would need all 4 wheels to spin freely.

True, but that can be done simply by placing the transmission in neutral. The condition described in the book has specific maneuvers to electronically disconnect the drive axles, which is apparently not accomplished by simply placing the transmission into neutral.

This poses a challenge to me!

B.

I'm sure in emergency situations like if it were needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck, you would need all 4 wheels to spin freely.

True, but that can be done simply by placing the transmission in neutral. The condition described in the book has specific maneuvers to electronically disconnect the drive axles, which is apparently not accomplished by simply placing the transmission into neutral.

B.

Most likely it is only for service issues then. Possibly there could be a reason for it. Regardless, every 4x4 vehicle has a neutral position, whether they want you to use it or not. Don't lose any sleep over it. It's just one of those things........just like the speedometer reads up to 160mph...but you will never get it there.

B.

Most likely it is only for service issues then. Possibly there could be a reason for it. Regardless, every 4x4 vehicle has a neutral position, whether they want you to use it or not. Don't lose any sleep over it. It's just one of those things........just like the speedometer reads up to 160mph...but you will never get it there.

I have a large diesel motorhome and would like to tow the 570 four-wheels down. If the neutral position truly is neutral, it would seem that this is possible...except for that pesky little note saying that towing behind a motorhome is forbidden.

Thanks for your input.

B.

B.

I have a large diesel motorhome and would like to tow the 570 four-wheels down. If the neutral position truly is neutral, it would seem that this is possible...except for that pesky little note saying that towing behind a motorhome is forbidden.

Thanks for your input.

B.

I know. I'm sure it would not hurt it. But i'd ask a tech as the service department why the manual states not to. It seems silly that it would hurt it.

• 4 years later...

Whether the ignition is on or off, but the engine is not started, you'd normally not be able to select the neutral. But there's a manual switch (as your say) to do this. You operate this switch not necessarily for towing, but e.g. during the mandatory vehicle inspection (by your dealer or by the authorities). E.g. you put your vehicle on a stand, manually switch to neutral and than the stand would accelerate your front/rear wheels (which, while the engine is not running, is only possible with the manual neutral) and test how well your brakes work etc.

Towing with neutral is not recommended, looking at a "general" or "layman" driver, who is not skilled to that, as it may cause accidents and serious injuries. Everything for your safety really! (and to protect insurance companies and dealers from liability - oh yeah!)

Automatic transmissions should never be towed. When towing a rear wheel drive they should lift the rear wheels and never tow on all 4 or on it's drive wheels, otherwise you will screw the transmission.

You can however push short distances in neutral. But never towed on all 4.

• 2 years later...
On 5/19/2009 at 9:51 PM, Budpar3 said:

There are two pages of directions/instructions to place the drive wheels in "neutral," electronically disconnecting the transmission. I would suppose that this would allow the vehicle to be towed "4 wheels down."

The manual, however, states that it is expressly forbidden to tow the vehicle "4 wheels down," and doing so would void the warranty. The manual specifically shows a 570 behind a motorhome with the red circle and slash over the 570.

My question: Why have a "neutral" position which disconnects the drive wheels from the transmission when towing is forbidden?

B.

I know this is dragging up a post from the dead but I am VERY interested to know if you tried this Budpar. Or if anyone else has with or without success jump in and let me know! I too have a large motorhome and a 200 and I saw that Blue Ox now makes a tow bar baseplate for the LX570. They didn't just produce it for giggles! Somebody wanted it enough to bring in their truck for the measurements.