Gas Mileage

I have a 2006 IS 250 AWD and I have been getting terrible gas mileage lately (~15). I just pulled my air filter and it is totally clean - it is by no means a performance part, but it is clean - so I have no idea what else could be causing such a drop in mileage. Any ideas?

Dang that's bad. I get better in my LX470. Is the computer telling you that you are getting 15mpg or have you calculated it yourself? How many miles on her?

Computer is saying so, but my needle is moving rather quickly, so I'm tending to believe it. I live in Chicago and all my driving is stop & go, so that will obviously have something to do with it, but it shouldn't be THAT bad. It has 47,000 miles on it.

Dang that's bad. I get better in my LX470. Is the computer telling you that you are getting 15mpg or have you calculated it yourself? How many miles on her?

Computer is saying so, but my needle is moving rather quickly, so I'm tending to believe it. It has 47,000 miles on it.

Wow. First I would fill her up and drive till very emtpy and calculate yourself. If you still get the same results i'd take it in to the dealer. Could be a number of things....one being a bad 02 sensor but you should get a "check engine" light for that. Something else that might not trigger a warning would be a clogged fuel filter. Other common culprits are worn out spark plugs and plug wires, dirty air filter, mass airflow sensor, brake caliper or cylinder not fully retracting. A short list of the many possibilities. But with 47k miles I would bet it would be the fuel filter. These other problems tend to be with waaaaay higher miles.

Computer is saying so, but my needle is moving rather quickly, so I'm tending to believe it. It has 47,000 miles on it.

Wow. First I would fill her up and drive till very emtpy and calculate yourself. If you still get the same results i'd take it in to the dealer. Could be a number of things....one being a bad 02 sensor but you should get a "check engine" light for that. Something else that might not trigger a warning would be a clogged fuel filter. Other common culprits are worn out spark plugs and plug wires, dirty air filter, mass airflow sensor, brake caliper or cylinder not fully retracting. A short list of the many possibilities. But with 47k miles I would bet it would be the fuel filter. These other problems tend to be with waaaaay higher miles.

Thanks. Since you mention the brake cylinder not retracting, I actually have been noticing a lot of brake dust. I just cleaned my wheels a week ago and they are already covered in dust. I have booked an appointment with the dealer since it's still under warranty, but I'm still curious as to what the heck could cause this.

Thanks. Since you mention the brake cylinder not retracting, I actually have been noticing a lot of brake dust. I just cleaned my wheels a week ago and they are already covered in dust. I have booked an appointment with the dealer since it's still under warranty, but I'm still curious as to what the heck could cause this.

It's no problem. Let me know what you find out! And yes the IS has a known problem with brake dust. If I do not clean mine at least every 3 days they begin to look unsightly. I have found myself using the paddle shifters to downshift to help stop the car so I do not have so use so much braking force. But I do believe for the 2006 year model they have a TSB for the brake pads. They should replace them for free and they are supposedly less dusty.

I had an issue with my old Toyota Celica, rear oxygen sensor was faulty causing the vehicle to consume more gas. Once replaced the problem was gone.

I get great mileage on my IS250AWD. In this summer weather i'm averaging about 530km a tank

Dealership is saying that there's nothing mechanically wrong with it. Sensors are fine and the filter is clean. I need new tires and I drive in Chicago, so that combo must ruin mileage.

Dealership is saying that there's nothing mechanically wrong with it. Sensors are fine and the filter is clean. I need new tires and I drive in Chicago, so that combo must ruin mileage.

One of the recall items I just had serviced was the "Service Campaign 9LB" for "Rear Brake Caliper Inspection". Maybe this is actually affecting you and your mileage? I'm not sure what the exact issue was...perhaps it was sticking.

I had the fuel injection scrubbed of carbon buildup and purchased a new set of tires and the car drives like new. I took it on the highway and it was getting over 30 MPG (according to the computer, at least). It must have just been the combination of carbon build-up from the previous owner using 87 gas, the cruddy tires on the front, and brutal stop-and-go traffic in Chicago that was ruining my mileage. The dealer also replaced my brake pads because of the TSB for excessive dust.

I had the fuel injection scrubbed of carbon buildup and purchased a new set of tires and the car drives like new. I took it on the highway and it was getting over 30 MPG (according to the computer, at least). It must have just been the combination of carbon build-up from the previous owner using 87 gas, the cruddy tires on the front, and brutal stop-and-go traffic in Chicago that was ruining my mileage. The dealer also replaced my brake pads because of the TSB for excessive dust.

Fantastic!! Glad you got the problem solved!!!

another proof that "savings" in gas quality and octane are really non existent...

another proof that "savings" in gas quality and octane are really non existent...

Correct. Premium all the way!!

• 4 weeks later...
I had an issue with my old Toyota Celica, rear oxygen sensor was faulty causing the vehicle to consume more gas. Once replaced the problem was gone.

I get great mileage on my IS250AWD. In this summer weather i'm averaging about 530km a tank

I got Almost 600km on my IS350 LOl.. I let it change gears below 2000rpm thou.

It must have just been the combination of carbon build-up from the previous owner using 87 gas, the cruddy tires on the front, and brutal stop-and-go traffic in Chicago that was ruining my mileage.

What causes the carbon build-up?

[A] Brutal stop-and-go traffic? Definitely.

Gas quality? Possibly.

[C] Octane? Nope.