Possible Egr Pipe Failure

Ruud

Hello from a rainy Scotland,

I'm a member on the UK forum and just joined here.

My problem: My 1993 LS is making quite a noise when cold (higher idle) and also when the A/C kicks in. At first I thought it was a cracked manifold but after reading on here I now suspect it is the EGR pipe. Is there a write-up somewhere on how to access and fix this?

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ruud

umm..and why is that? :wacko:

Hi Ruud, as a former owner of a '92 model LS, I did learn a few things over the years about the first-gen cars. The notorious EGR pipe is a royal pain due it's nearly inaccessible location behind the intake manifold crammed against the firewall. Most owners end up replacing or repairing it once the starter motor fails (located under the intake manifold) since the EGR is clearly accessible when doing a starter replacement. In any event, here's a link to a well-written older post specifically on this topic that may be of great benefit to you - hope it helps: us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5974

Because it is one long tube going from the intake manifold down to the exhaust manifold. wedged between the firewall and the engine.

Good luck on your fix.

Ruud, I did my egr pipe about a couple months ago and can tell you it is a pain. The top 2 bolts can be seen right behind the intake (5 min. to take off) The bottom two bolts can be removed with the car on the ground (drive the right front wheel up on a small ramp.1/2 hr to 1 hour to remove) so you can squeeze under the car. The hardest part is getting the one 12mm bolt off that holds the pipe to the block,it has to be done by feel, and with a little help from a friend, and took me about 3 hrs. to get it off :D ) I have some good pics if you need them, and will help you with any questions.p.s. Mine was cracked in two places and I had it repaired at a local welding shop for $30.00. So far so good. Good Luck, Von

post-88733-1242913055_thumb.jpg

post-88733-1242913117_thumb.jpg