Test Driving Is Convertible Tomorrow

So I get a chance to drive the IS convertible tomorrow in Newport (and HS hybrid)- looking forward to it. I'll try to post pics (if they let me take them) and impressions tomorow night. HS review will be in the HS forum....

Just got back from Newport - will try to get a chance to load pics in the next day - right now just too tired, but will write some impressions. Test drove both the HS (boring) and IS convertible (very not boring). HS review is in the HS forum, but bottom line is, it needs work. The IS, on the other hand, was fantastic. Hits the showrooms in a few weeks, but enjoyed the chance to get a sneek peek. They had several verions to drive, but you pretty much had to get the one that came back when it was your turn. All were 350s. one had F-type wheels, rotors, brakes, suspenison and exhaust (but the 350 engine) - they claim the exhaust buys another 15 hp. Unfortunately didn't get to drive that one, but still enjoyed my red 350 convertible. Newport weather was perfect convertible weather - 75, sunny. I haven't been in an 09 IS Sedan, so not sure how the interior compares with the convertible, but I felt it was a perfect match for the car - nice balance b/t comfort and sport. The top goes down in about 25 seconds. You do have to hold the switch the entire time (first time in a convertible, so not sure if that's true for all) but there is a diagram on the dash that lets you know when it's completely down or up, and it beeps as well. Trunk space is enough for a bag of clubs with the top down, but that's probably to be expected. One downer is that there is a divider in the trunk that you have to manually move before the top can go down, so you have to get out of the car, move the divider, then get back in and lower the lid - didn't quite understand that??

Driving was excellent and responsive, and I'm sure compares to the regular 350. Weight is around 3700, but still lighter than the G37 convertible which tops 2 tons. Driving with the front windows up, but the top down at 70 was amazingly quiet - could easily have a conversation. There were no rear seat passengers, so not sure how the noise was there. IIR, MPG 18/25, but I may be off on the hwy. Pricing is 45-55, which is comprable to the G37. Overall, I think Lexus has a winner here - (makes up for the disappointing HS). Will try to put up some pics soon.

It was a Lexus Sponsored event in Newport Beach - they send out invitations every now and then for new models. I have no idea how I got on the list. This last weekend they had the IS-C and HS.