1998 Screeching Sound When Brakes Applied In Reverse

rhkwon

I've got a 1998 LS 400 with 88,000 miles on it. Everytime we start the car in the morning and back out of the driveway and apply the brakes, there is a constant screeching sound when the brakes are applied. The guy who sold me the car said this is a problem on all these models? :unsure: He said the pads were replaced about a year ago. Could it be a spring or clip? The sound is louder than hell!

The same thing happened on my 1998 ls, your right its very loud and annoying!.....I took it to my local toyota dealership and the rear brakes were cleaned and new pads put on. End of problem. You get what you pay for as I had the brakes done at another shop just to save some cash......bad mistake.

The same thing happened on my 1998 ls, your right its very loud and annoying!.....I took it to my local toyota dealership and the rear brakes were cleaned and new pads put on. End of problem. You get what you pay for as I had the brakes done at another shop just to save some cash......bad mistake.

Yes, very loud and very annoying. I can only imagine how *BLEEP*ed the neighbors are when this loud screeching sound wakes them up every morning!

I know some other cars use warning strips on the pads (not sure proper name for them). Basically once the pad wears they contact the rotor and start scratching. It’s meant to warn you pads are worn. Maybe the guy replaced pads with some off brand pad that has this warning strip. Maybe just going pack to OEM pads will solve the issue. It’s only about $50-60 for Lexus OEM pads.

I know some other cars use warning strips on the pads (not sure proper name for them). Basically once the pad wears they contact the rotor and start scratching. It’s meant to warn you pads are worn. Maybe the guy replaced pads with some off brand pad that has this warning strip. Maybe just going pack to OEM pads will solve the issue. It’s only about $50-60 for Lexus OEM pads.

I'll give it a shot. I guess I should describe the sound better. It's not a high pitched squeal. More like a mid pictched scream. Kinda like a siren.

sounds like the pads are nto seated properly , probably did not add the shims , adhesive, clips or retainers from a driveway brake job.

Take it to a proper tech or buy the kit from toyota with all the parts for the brake pad and shims after seeing what is missing.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll change out everything to OEM and see how it goes. I have a feeling the previous guy had an amateur brake job done with non OEM parts.