Delayed Transmission Is 250

HI,

I just recently purchased a 2006 IS 250, AWD, automatic. I am noticing in the last few days when I first drive it the transmission gets hung up in 3rd gear for about a 1 minute or less. I can see this being normal in cold weather but its been 50 degrees in the mornings lately so I wasnt sure if this was normal or not?

Thank you

HI,

I just recently purchased a 2006 IS 250, AWD, automatic. I am noticing in the last few days when I first drive it the transmission gets hung up in 3rd gear for about a 1 minute or less. I can see this being normal in cold weather but its been 50 degrees in the mornings lately so I wasnt sure if this was normal or not?

Thank you

Try resetting the ECU(disconnect the negative wire on the battery for about 30secs). Keep in mind though that it will erase your preset radio stations and probably your trip meter.(Not 100% sure, since I haven't done it).

I heard that the car's ECU remembers your style of driving and does so accordingly to your pedal input.

For instance, I used to use the manual mode and ride down hill in 4th gear to not use my brakes and to keep a constant speed...after a while I noticed that once I touched the brakes, just a little, while riding down hill, the car would automatically shift from 6th to 4th(while in D). I'm not sure if it was like that before though. Also, while in PWR mode if I floor it, it will downshift and go, but when I let go the gas it stays in 3rd for a while before figuring out that I don't want power anymore. But in regular mode, it upshifts right away in the same situation...because that's what I always do...I might floor it for a few seconds and then let go.

So my point is that you might've done something(or somebody who test drove the car at the dealer) to make it believe that you wanted to stay in 3rd gear. So everytime you do it, it stays in 3rd. By resetting the ECU, it will go back to normal. Also I heard it makes the car feel faster.

HI,

Thank you

Try resetting the ECU(disconnect the negative wire on the battery for about 30secs). Keep in mind though that it will erase your preset radio stations and probably your trip meter.(Not 100% sure, since I haven't done it).

I heard that the car's ECU remembers your style of driving and does so accordingly to your pedal input.

For instance, I used to use the manual mode and ride down hill in 4th gear to not use my brakes and to keep a constant speed...after a while I noticed that once I touched the brakes, just a little, while riding down hill, the car would automatically shift from 6th to 4th(while in D). I'm not sure if it was like that before though. Also, while in PWR mode if I floor it, it will downshift and go, but when I let go the gas it stays in 3rd for a while before figuring out that I don't want power anymore. But in regular mode, it upshifts right away in the same situation...because that's what I always do...I might floor it for a few seconds and then let go.

So my point is that you might've done something(or somebody who test drove the car at the dealer) to make it believe that you wanted to stay in 3rd gear. So everytime you do it, it stays in 3rd. By resetting the ECU, it will go back to normal. Also I heard it makes the car feel faster.

I think it's normal for a cold start tranny to do this regardless of the ambient temperature outside. Here in southeast Texas it is almost 90F+ year round and my LX470 and my IS350 do this when first driving in the morning. Not for more than about 5-10 seconds but yes a "lag" from normal temp driving.