Need Opinion On This Used Ls430

robocam

I'm considering the purchase of a used 2001 LS430 with 97k miles. It has the chrome 17" wheels and the euro tuned suspension. This is my first experience with an LS430. Does any one know if the non-euro tuned suspension version with 16" wheels is significantly smoother/quieter?

This one also has the ML audio with Navigation.

Timing belt not changed. Trunk gas struts replaced. One headlight is really dull. The other headlight's high beam points to the ground, but the low beams seemed to be aimed properly. Seemed to have been involved in a minor accident (didn't see anything about air bags deploying).

Here's the carfax.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Rep...HBN30F410016959

The only issue that's putting me on the fence is this.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=57647

While I was test driving it (they let me take it home overnight) the noise went away into the background. I might be able to get used to it. Maybe I shouldn't?

Exhaust smelled very clean. I'm used to the smell of a carbureted Chevy small block.

Love the rain sensing wipers. Brakes worked very well. Love that it has VSC (my main reason for changing cars).

Other issues:

One side of cup holder is broken.

Sunglasses compartment switch does not pop back out when you press it. You have to pull it out in order for it to keep the door closed.

Passenger outside mirror housing plastic missing a chunk. It also sometimes doesn't fold in, but I guess I could just leave the folding feature turned off.

Driver's side outside mirror electrochrome is half messed up. It looks like half of it is dimmed at all times. Still works ok though.

The asking price is $15k.

I found another 01 LS430 with 80k miles asking $14k, but it doesn't have the ML, Nav, or 17" wheels.

How many miles do you think I can get out of this thing? How long will the transmission last without requiring any work (other than fluid changes) done to it? When do oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, crank shaft seals, etc. start to need replacement?

Do the driveshaft bolts really need to be retorqued all the time? What happens if I don't have it done?

thanks in advance

It sounds like the first 01 LS you mentioned has had a hard life and wasn't maintained very well. Does it have a documented maintenance history other than the skipped 90K maintenance?

Why don't you drive both cars to see what the difference is between the one with and without the ML, nav and the 17" wheels. Some like the ride and handling of the bigger wheel options and some don't -- it's a personal preference.

The mirror glass is easily replaced -- based on what they cost for my 00 LS, I'm guessing the mirror glass costs $400 + or - $50. Used whole mirror assemblies are sometimes available on eBay too.

What do you mean by the headlight being dull? Is the lens fogged over or is the HID putting out limited light?

The A/C whine is a "feature". My 2000 LS400 does it too -- wish it didn't. Probably noticeable since everything else is so quiet.

No, the driveshaft bolts don't need to be retorqued "all of the time". Gaskets and seals last a very long time on an LS. My first LS is still being driven by its current owner and it has 280,000 miles on it.

If the "S80" in your car model field means "Volvo", as the past owner of three Volvos I can assure you that Volvo and Lexus quality are on dramatically different levels. From my experience, Volvo quality is waaay lower than Lexus quality.

I'd suggest passing for now on the 01 LS with ML/nav/17" wheels. You can probably do better and find one that doesn't have all these problems. Only yesterday I saw a low mileage, visually perfect 05 LS430 on a dealers lot with an asking price of $26,000 and change.

Heck, most people keep these cars up and fix problems when they occur. Look for one of those.

I'd steer clear, too many other cars in great condition. I was where you are a few months ago. Decided not to go with an '01 after riding in some '02's and '03's that rode much better and the seats felt much more comfortable.

I was checking eBay, Craigslist, Cars.com and AutoTrader.com and you need to be patient and find something better taken care of. Patience is the hardest part of buying one of these cars since they are so great and you want to buy the first one. I know, I had to get out of a deal on an '01 where I put down a $10K deposit because I talked myself into thinking it rode as good as the '03 I had test drove and when my wife came with me for a test drive she said why doesn't this '01 ride as nice as the other one.

I still have a bit of buyers remorse since I wanted an 03 with NAV and ML stereo and 90K miles and I wound up with a sweet looking 03 with 30K mikles and no nav and the standard Lexus stereo, which is actually a nice sounding unit IMO.

I also wanted a one owner Texas car that was not leased and one with immaculate Lexus service records and the car I bought had both.

Good luck, Sewell Lexus in Dallas has some nice used cars regularly and a lot of folks fly in to DFW and they will pick you up. If you see one you like over there, I might be able to go look at it for you and give you my impression.

Regards, Wes

I'd agree with Jim and Wes. It sounds like that LS has had a hard life, and $15k is not a stellar deal, keep looking.

These cars will remain fabulous for many many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. However, when maintenance has been deferred they can be VERY expensive to bring back to good condition.

Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I should wait for an 02 or newer LS. Does the 02 or newer LS ride better because of any design changes or was it just isolated to the ones you test drove?

I'll bet the timing belt change was skipped because they didn't plan to keep it.

Those 17" chrome wheels looked really nice. I don't feel I can find anything like it under $15k though.

i have not figured out the ride difference between an 01 and an 02 or 03 but believe some of the variables are in the size of wheels, 16 vs 17 and the manufacturer of the tires on the car. You might want to do a search to see what you find here since a lot of folks know much more than my limited experience.

My car has the 17" chrome Lexus wheels and drives as nice as anything I drove with 16" wheels. My best advise is to drive a lot of cars before deciding you gotta have one now.

killer deal depending on Carfax, maintenance history, color and condition.

For that price I'd guess it was leased, previously wrecked, green and from up North in the snow and salt regions ;>)

Tell us more!

BTW, I know I paid too much for mine but got it from a Mercedes Benz Dealership on eBay and for a comparison:

33,000 miles, one owner (Texas), Lexus maintenance by the book every 5,000 miles, perfect interior, very good exterior (no dings, just a few small scratches), no NAV or ML, 17" Lexus Chrome wheels with 90% new tires, Carfax history confirmed everything, owners manual, 4 original keys, original window sticker. $22,700 ouch.

Did you see this one? 2003 LS430 with NAV and ML