A/c Refrigerant Noise On 2001 Ls430 Normal?

robocam

When the compressor cycles on, I can hear the refrigerant flowing at idle. The sound is like a quiet high pitched squealing. My wife said it sounded like water. The Lexus salesman and service adviser couldn't hear it. Anyone know if this is a common issue and if it's normal? It is annoying. I expect the car to be perfectly quiet during idle. If I turn off the A/C, the noise goes away. It comes right back when the compressor cycles on.

When the compressor cycles on, I can hear the refrigerant flowing at idle. The sound is like a quiet high pitched squealing. My wife said it sounded like water. The Lexus salesman and service adviser couldn't hear it. Anyone know if this is a common issue and if it's normal? It is annoying. I expect the car to be perfectly quiet during idle. If I turn off the A/C, the noise goes away. It comes right back when the compressor cycles on.

I can also hear refrigerant flowing when I am stopped in my 2004 LS430. I was concerned when I first got the car about a year ago, but it does not seem to affect anything; it is just a little annoying.

Never heard it in my '04 LS430. Not sure its a problem anyway. Refrigerant is compressed into a liquid by the compressor. It does through a metering valve inside the car (picture an atomizing spray bottle in your mind) and this then feeds the evaporator. Its is the conversion from liquid to gas that creates the cooling (or absorption of heat) that goes on in the car (behind the dash in the blower box). You might just be hearing the gas atomizing at the metering valve of the evaporator coil.

Maybe you should turn up the radio.

I wonder if the orifice is clogged or if the refrigerant charge is low. Can the Lexus guys check this out or should I take it to an A/C shop? This is actually occurring on a car that I'm considering to buy. An 01 LS430 with 97k miles.

Dealers know how to look at this. They have specific training for Lexus and their particular AC implementation.

If the car is being sold by dealer though it may not be most objective review. Maybe negotiate an extra warranty on AC only to get resolution.