Need Your Opinion On Brakes

cappakazi

Hi there, im a new LS400 owner of 1990 im an Aussie owner :)

Ive come to the problem now that my brake discs and pads are shot. The discs have no machining left on them.

As i have intentions do performance mods down the track, i have noticed the brakes are more then sad when in working condition.

So an upgrade is in order. I have investigated buying the top the brake brands and in Australia but is way too expensive.

So i was thinking about putting Supra JZA80 Big brakes 4pot caliper combo i can get the set brand new here for $800. which is the same as new discs only from the top brands here. Putting standard discs works out to be $450. So you can see why im going down the path.

I have researched as much as i can do with my knowledge the discs will fit on fine, my concerns are the caliper bolt holes lining up, also the hub cover worries me aswell. Im going to put braided lines in aswell. Im also not sure about the brake fluid delivery would it be sufficient for four pots.

If there is anything else let me know

thanks in advance

p.s. If you go with OEM pads and rotors you are looking at $564.78 at www.parts.com

If you go with substitute brand (from www.RockAuto.com) you are looking at $222.02

New rotors and pads all 4 wheels. For a 20 years old car I'd go with the substitute (Centric) as they’ll probably last longer than the next big ticket repair to come along.

I need new rims anyway, the ones on there are currently "floating" rims eeek

As for the answer of why would i spend the money, the price you mentioned is in the U.S dollar the Aussie dollar is *BLEEP* in comparison. So the way i see it if spend say a extra $450 on an upgrade then that is money well worth spent, plus i like to upgrade my car to make it better thats just what i do. So what if its 20 years old these new supra brakes will last for another 20 lol, if i can get them too fit.

Im not sure if anyone has experienced the braking power of these 4pots but its incredible. Another reason im trying to go down this path

OK but a car of that age is going to have things go. Engine, tranny, suspension, .... Those brakes might have stopping power but if the car doesn't go then it seems a little misplaced

As for the currency the $222USD is around $300 AUD so quite a bit less than $800

even though still a great upgrade.

Also the transmission has been rebuilt so rule that out, got new coilovers, so thats out. Ive got money for a rainy day

So anyone with any info on the topic? Ive read there is adapter plates for the calipers.

So its looking like a good upgrade just not sure about the brake fluid delivery

instead of questioning the guy as to why he would want to do whatever, let him do what he wants, it's his car. ;)

anyways, OP, better and cheaper method would be to use 2LS 4piston calipers and rotors, they are MUCH MUCH cheaper than the Supra TT brakes, and are actually lighter and offer ~85-90% of their braking capability for ~40-50% of the price.

to put 95-00 LS400 front brakes into an 89-94 LS400, you need to replace the calipers and rotors (both will bolt right in, no modifications needed), and 95-00 front LOWER BALL JOINTS because the calipers will not clear the original 1LS ones as they are not notched for clearance. also, you will need wheels to clear the brakes, High disk wheels for sure, just get some that will fit a big brake kit and you should be fine.

This thread was titled "Need your opinion on brakes". Well my opinion is that putting $800 high performance brakes on a twenty year old car worth $2,000 isn't exactly crisp decision making. Its only my opinion though. It seems clear cappakazi will do as he sees fit. No big deal. He asked for opinions though. That was mine.

thanks for that, that is real useful info, sort of stuff i wanted to know not weather im crazy or not :P

So with the ball joints are any mods needed for that (just for clarification)? so thats it just source that out and all in a few hours im done hey sounds better by the minute.

Thanks again

thanks for that, that is real useful info, sort of stuff i wanted to know not weather im crazy or not :P

So with the ball joints are any mods needed for that (just for clarification)? so thats it just source that out and all in a few hours im done hey sounds better by the minute.

Thanks again

as long as you use the right 1995-2000 LS400 front lower ball joints there shouldnt be any modifications.

don't forget to buy shims for the pads and the right mounting bolts (normal '95-00 LS400 bolts)