Wheel / Hub Bolt Broken

Gumart1

Hopefully I am describing this correctly - I have a broken hub bolt and my shop manual says that the hub nut is torqued to over 250 ft lbs. I assume there is no way to remove the hub with my basic tools. I can't imagine replacing the bolt with accessing the hole from behind and removing the hub. Any ideas?

A couple different options:

1) Impact wrench (either electric or pneumatic). Rent from a rental supply house or better, buy one. It's one of those tools you don't think you'll need often but you'll find more and more uses for it over time. Don't forget impact-grade sockets; standard ones won't hold up very well.

Air: If you have a compressor, etc. already, then it's time to add an impact driver to your collection.

Electric: A decent electric impact wrench will run you probably under $150 at Sears (1/2" drive). I didn't have a compressor at the time, so I went this route several years back when removing a harmonic balancer bolt on one of my Saabs.

2) BF(big freaking) breaker bar+ cheater (i.e. long piece of pipe over the end of the breaker bar).

Good luck!

Paul

Hopefully I am describing this correctly - I have a broken hub bolt and my shop manual says that the hub nut is torqued to over 250 ft lbs. I assume there is no way to remove the hub with my basic tools. I can't imagine replacing the bolt with accessing the hole from behind and removing the hub. Any ideas?

To remove the front wheel studs ,

remove wheel

remove caliper and rotor

hammer in broken stud insert new stud ,thread with washers and tighten it down to seat the knurl.

No need to remove the hub as it has spots for it to pop out by rotating it.

Thanks for the tips. It appears that the replacement bolt is a 1 piece design and the bolt head is larger than the opening, so I can't insert it from the front, and there is no clearance from the back of it. Are you saying that the wheel stud rotates and can be removed to access from the rear? To me it looks like the high-torqued nut has to be removed to make this possible.