02 Strut Install

Hi,

I was recently replacing the STruts on my 02 ES300. After many adventures with the Stabilizer link bar... I finally got to the point where I could install the strut but quickly found out that the 3 bolts that mount at the top did not line up with the holes. Maybe 1/4 inch off on 1 of them.

The supplier claims I ordered the proper part and I'm almost positive I do not have AVS. THe strut looks identical to the old one.

Is it common practice that one may have to BEND the top mounting piece to get it to fan out a little? I dont want to damage it so looking for suggestions before I go any further.

Thanks in adv.

E

NO, it is not common practice to bend anything out to make it fit in the suspension. You must have ordered the wrong part.

Only way I could have ordered the wrong part is if my car has AVS. I ordered:

171678 Front Right

171679 Front Left

171680 Rear Right

171681 Rear Left

I installed both Rears with no problem. I just measured the distances between the bolts and my originals are all 4.5 inches apart. The new ones are 4.3 to 4.3 to 4.5.

How can i tell if my car has AVS? When the car starts, i dont see AVS an indicator on the dash.

I am curious about another small issue. Everything I have read states that the 2000 and 2002 ES300 use the same struts. So I had a plan to install new struts on my 02.. and install the used 02 struts on the 2000. Only because i am not sure how long I will be keeping the 2000 and the right strut clunks over bumps. So, after installing the new struts on the 02 Rears, put 1 on the 2000. Low and behold, the strut was not the right length. The clearance from the strut and the tire was .5 inches and the tire appeared to be out of alignment. Put the old one back on, of course all is good.

I measured the length of the cup part of the strut to the bottom and my 02 struts were about .5 inches shorter than the ones that were on the 2000. The 2000 is just the ES300 platinum series. No AVS as well.

Still battling with the merchant regarding the Fronts not fitting properly.

• 2 weeks later...