Leather Cleaning

I used McGuires Leather Cleaner wipes to clean the armrest and was very diappointed. Cleaned well but also removed some of the finish (or color?) of the leather. My mistake for trusting without testing but I want something that will not repeat that problem and saw Lexol noted. What is your experience with that product, does it also remove the color along with the dirt?

I used McGuires Leather Cleaner wipes to clean the armrest and was very diappointed. Cleaned well but also removed some of the finish (or color?) of the leather. My mistake for trusting without testing but I want something that will not repeat that problem and saw Lexol noted. What is your experience with that product, does it also remove the color along with the dirt?

what color exactly are you referring to?

the only leather that is not coated with a plastic type protective covering in european leather, ur wasting ur time using any leather cleaners

Rubbing with the McGuires wipes seemed to remove the finish of the leather leaving it looking worse than just dirty. Hard to describe but seemed like the dye was SLIGHTLY removed and the finish was rougher.

I've always had good luck with Zaino Bros. products. They make both a leather cleaner and a conditioner. You can get the product online; I've never seen it in any stores. I've used it for years in multiple cars and have never had any problems, though I'd apply it conservatively (to the towel, not the leather) and rub the leather gently.

Those wipes are garbage.

Lexol is a good product, so is Leatherique. Do a search in the detailing forum, I'm going to move this there.

While its true the leather is coated, that doesn't mean it doesn't benefit from regular cleaning and conditioning. It just simply doesn't "absorb" things like hide food...

The Lexus manual recommends a dilute wool cleaner (as in 5% Woolite). I have a spray bottle of it and clean my interior leather and vinyl with that and a terrycloth wash cloth. Then rinse with water, dry, and apply Zaoino's Leather-in-a-Bottle (Z-10). My interior looks great and smells like it has new leather.

using leather conditioner does nothing because it doesnt soak into the seat....u might as well use vinyl cleaner

Whats the difference? Either I buy leather conditioner or I buy vinyl conditioner, and leather conditioner leaves a nice soft feel and a leathery smell while vinyl conditioner smells like chemicals and leaves everything slimy and slippery.

I guess my point is, what is your point? The use of leather cleaners (I use woolite too) and conditioners leaves the seats softer and better looking over the long term so who cares whether its soaking into any leather or not?

I just used leatherique for the first time on my '99LS. I can't believe how well it cleans the leather. It really does sweat out the stains, dirt, etc. just like it says it does in their description. It's way more expensive than Lexol, but it gives much better results. It really stinks when you apply it, but it smells great (like leather) after it's all done.

• 2 months later...

Hi all for what its worth Pinnacle makes a leather conditioner that is fantastic, its a creamy substance goes on easy and really conditions leather, have used lexol and others and find it best for the money. i have 98 ls that looks like new and it maintains the leather great.

safe driving to all