Engine Cleaning

I'm thinking of cleaning the engine bay. Is there anything I should watch out for, any wires or parts I should cover up?

I've never done this before but I have researched it a lot in the last few days. Found a useful guide and a video. Seems like I would need to cover up the alternator and the air intake. And avoid using a high pressure stream. Also it says to apply some wax on the fenders to protect the paint from the degreaser.

How safe is it to do on a Lexus, since they have a lot of electronics under the hood?

Here is the site and the video I used.

http://www.properautocare.com/prencl.html

Never mind. Cleaned the whole engine, will post pics later.

Just used two plastic bags to cover the fuse boxes(on the left and on the right). I couldn't find the alternator so I didn't bother with that. Sprayed some water at low pressure, applied a degreaser, let it soak for 5 minutes, scrubbed with brushes, then washed it all off. Dried off the water with a leaf blower then took off the bags. Oh and I cleaned the engine covers seperately. Let the engine run for a couple of minutes just to drive everything off and make sure that it still works :) Then sprayed some CD2 Engine Detailer and wiped off the excess. Looks amazing.

• 1 year later...

Never mind. Cleaned the whole engine, will post pics later.

Just used two plastic bags to cover the fuse boxes(on the left and on the right). I couldn't find the alternator so I didn't bother with that. Sprayed some water at low pressure, applied a degreaser, let it soak for 5 minutes, scrubbed with brushes, then washed it all off. Dried off the water with a leaf blower then took off the bags. Oh and I cleaned the engine covers seperately. Let the engine run for a couple of minutes just to drive everything off and make sure that it still works :) Then sprayed some CD2 Engine Detailer and wiped off the excess. Looks amazing.

Just curious..

My IS250 has a metal gaurd plate below the engine, so I was wondering if you removed yours before washing your engine, otherwise the plate will trap the water in and al the durt and dust will just lay on top of it?

oh, the altenator is right at bottom below your fan belt.

• 4 weeks later...

i spary it down good with gunk engine cleaner, drive around a bit until it starts to "steam" and then power wash it out on the road (not the driveway!)

- then spray down with armorall or mothers protect-ant

superclean in a spray bottle and then a house down works for light cleanings

your car will go hay wire (most toyotas and lexus do) after the engine wash but will return to normnal after it becomes dry -< just to warn ya