91 Ls400 Cabin Filter

I know the filter is around $25 and the stealer quoted $220. I have seen other threads talking how easy to remove/replace it but not for the 91 LS400. Can you please tell me how? The last change was made by the dealer in 1999 for $145. Please do not blame me for taking so long to change but the car is rarely driven.

Thanks

Remove the plastic panel under the glove box. Use something thin but stiff like a scraper and cover the end with electrical tape to prevent scratches. Pry down back and forth at the ends enough to fit you fingers in and pull off the cover. There will be a small light with wires. Look for this so as not to damage.

Look under the dash you will see a wing nut unscrew this and remove the cover. ( put some newspaper down to catch any debris that may fall out. Pull the first of two filters down and out then slide the second one toward you and then down and out.

You may need a needle nose pliers as mine had spread apart and was hard to pull out.

I ordered mine from park place lexus in plano texas. They have on-line or phone parts ordering. Cost around 60.00

Not sure about the '91 LS but my '04 LS is located in back of glove box. About a 5 minute job to swap and no tools required.

$220 sound more like a 15k mile (minor) service, oil change, rotate tires, multipoint vehicle inspection and test ride. Are you sure they don't mean we change cabin filter as part of a minor service? I can't believe any dealer is this dishonest.

CUman is correct - there is no cabin air filter on the 91. My 92 doesn't have one either.....

Stealer is right - if they actually charged for a part not even on the car....

I believe that the 91 did not have a cabin filter. The 93 was the first year with this feature.
CUman is correct - there is no cabin air filter on the 91. My 92 doesn't have one either.....

Stealer is right - if they actually charged for a part not even on the car....

I didnt think the 1991 had one either... sounds like that dealer was "charging" for things they didnt really do! <_<

Well this doesn't paint a flattering picture of your dealer. Since you're in Illinois there are 4-5 Lexus dealers in greater Chicago area so you have other options. It might be fun to visit the service writer and have him explain in some detail what the repair entails. DRaw him out in a lengthy detail about the part where it is wht it is so hard to perform..... and then show him this thread. Have a camera ready as his facial expression could be a Kodak moment.... Maybe take Pam Zekmann (famous Chicago expose' reporter) with you....

Seriously, you were charged 150 bucks in 99 to replace a filter that doesn't exist? Is this the same dealer that wants to replace it now? What is the dealers name? I will call them and ask for a quote for my car and see what they say.

I know the filter is around $25 and the stealer quoted $220. I have seen other threads talking how easy to remove/replace it but not for the 91 LS400. Can you please tell me how? The last change was made by the dealer in 1999 for $145. Please do not blame me for taking so long to change but the car is rarely driven.

Thanks

ouch! i couldnt find no parts for a cabin air filter below a 95' on the carson-toyota site.

Heres what you do. go to the Lexus dealer with the service reciept you recieved from 99' and tell them you want them to perform this service again. i would use hidden cameras, use a questionarre on the salesman and have the news crew out there while the car was in service and bag em' hard!!! :angry:

AWESOME! B)

Nail the *BLEEP*s.

Companies like that really *BLEEP* me off. Get the service done, then contact your lawyer, and have him contact Toyota/Luxes Corp. (whoever the dealer is)

rotflmfao!!!!!!! there isnt a cabin filter for a 91....i would be very upset at whoever quoted u that price, in fact i would let them do the job,pay them and get the invoice and call the BAR

• 8 years later...

Does my 1990 Lexus LS400 not have an air filter? I found a link on Lexls.com that shows how to change the air filter under the hood by the radiator. So now im comfused on if I should follow the instructions to change mine. Mind you Im still learning the DIY on my car & am slightly naive until I start taking stuff apart.