01 Ls430 Cruise Control Problem...

BigDog9721

My Lexus laser sensor on the front bumper broke due to a low flying rock on the road. Anyhow, I went to Lexus to repair it and they quoted me $2070 to replace and reinstall it. Seems a little high. Any thoughts on (1) disabling the sensor and just using the standard cruise control without radar sensor, or (2) repairing it myself and finding a used sensor some where else. Details and or web sites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

My Lexus laser sensor on the front bumper broke due to a low flying rock on the road. Anyhow, I went to Lexus to repair it and they quoted me $2070 to replace and reinstall it. Seems a little high. Any thoughts on (1) disabling the sensor and just using the standard cruise control without radar sensor, or (2) repairing it myself and finding a used sensor some where else. Details and or web sites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

If the car's insured for comp and collision it may be covered under the comprehensive section of your insurance. The sensor is expensive but there's also a lot of labor involved in taking the bumper off to get to it. Sometimes you see those sensors on Ebay...I think the ones for the Toyota Sienna and RX350/400 may be similar.

You can push the cruise control nob forward when you turn it on and this should disable the laser cruise (the Radar Ready will go away) but if the laser sensor is down I dont' know if this will work or not.

Good luck!

• 8 months later...

I repaired my Laser Cruise Lens myself by carefully removing the rest of the broken glass with a needle nose pliers then siliconeing a piece of Plexiglas over the opening. Worked great!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

i have a 2003 ls430 ,and my radar cruise control is not working,i have taken it diagnostics but the cruise control seems fine and censors are also ok in the system.But im bit frustrated that why its not functioning ,kindly advice

thanks in advance

Finding a replacement on ebay or at a scrapyard is difficult because it is a common problem (lots of people looking) and most recyclers consider it part of the front bumper, only selling as part of a front end rather than s separate part.

Easiest solution is to disable it when you want to use the cruise. With the car stopped, push the cruise button and press the lever forward for about 5 to 10 secords. The radar ready light will go out and you can use regular cruise. Unfortunately, you must repeat this when you want to use the cruise every time you start your car. A hi-tech reminder such as a postit note on the wheel when you are on a long trip can be helpful. Not perfect but workable.

thanks for the prompt response,dude i just wanted a clarification on wht is faulty in my car,is it wiring harness or laser censor?

Because i am thinking of a replacement and i have couple of places where i can get the parts from but i just want to be sure of the fault.

thanks again

• 1 year later...

You can disconnect laser unit and it will works like regular cruise control.