Costco Rep Warns Against Mich Primacy H

Today I spoke with a long standing rep for Costco and he was adamant about running H rated tires on an ES330.

He said that the vehicle handling would change and warned me against ordering the 215/60/16 Primacy H rated Tires.

I've considered going with the Energy S8's and even the Exalto's in a V rated tire. Just recently I checked with

another tire guy with years experience and he warned me about changing from a V to an H. This selection process

is getting to be so complicated and time consuming. Today I called Michelin and spoke with a rep and she confirmed

that the handling of the ES would be affected with the H rated tires. Regardless, I am leaning towards the Primacy H

rated tires. I just finished installing them on my LS430 and they run great.

Tire sellers insisting on V-rated tires for rather pedestrian sedans do so for one reason and one reason only - to maximize their profits (and commissions) on the tires they sell you....

You'll be absolutely fine with H-rated tires on your ES. I've backed many vehicles down from V-rated to H-rated tires over the past two decades and I've had exactly zero problems after doing so. I've saved money, extended my tire treadwear, and enjoyed absolutely no change in vehicle handling or safety. If you're driving your vehicle responsibly and not attempting to turn it into an Indy car, you'll be just fine with a set of H-rated tires....

Tire sellers insisting on V-rated tires for rather pedestrian sedans do so for one reason and one reason only - to maximize their profits (and commissions) on the tires they sell you....

You'll be absolutely fine with H-rated tires on your ES. I've backed many vehicles down from V-rated to H-rated tires over the past two decades and I've had exactly zero problems after doing so. I've saved money, extended my tire treadwear, and enjoyed absolutely no change in vehicle handling or safety. If you're driving your vehicle responsibly and not attempting to turn it into an Indy car, you'll be just fine with a set of H-rated tires....

what he said!!!!

Following up on my original post, I installed the 215/60/16 94H Primacy tires on my ES330. I can't notice an appreciable difference in handling and they ride smooth. I used a local installer who did the tire balancing using stick on wheel weights, installed from the inner sides of the wheel. When I questioned him on this method he said that there was no way to use lead on the outer side of the wheel and that the wheel esthetics using stick on weights. Additionally, he filled the tires with N2 but not until he first filled them with air for balancing purposes. I told him I thought the N2 should have been used initially and not inject air into the tire prior to filling them with N2. As for tire pressure the tires were inflated to 36 lbs above the 29 lbs. the ES330 recommends. The max tire pressure on the tire is 44 lbs. Cost of the tires were 636.00.

Every set of wheels on my both of my Lexi (2 lexus, 2 sets of wheels each) all had the stick on weights. Most Lexus stock rims don't have a lip to clip the ugly traditional wheel weights on. The look of the wheel is cleaner with the stick ons. Don't worry, they rarely ever come unstuck.

As for nitrogen, I think its use in conventional automobiles is a waste of time. I would have just used air. I do suggest that you bring the PSI down to at least 32. You will find a plushier ride. Just play around until you find the PSI you feel most comfortable with. Just don't go below 29.

steviej

Costco always says that, don't buy it. I have the H rated Primacies after years of having run Vs and feel no difference at all. If anything the H rated tires ride better.

• 1 month later...

I checked with multiple Costco in my area and no one can order Primacy H - rep called Michelin and all got the same answer - 215/60r16 were discontinued and can't be ordered any more :-(

I have to change my tires in 3 next months and I don't know what to do :o

Costco recommends BG Goodrich T/A or Mich Exalto

What to do?

• 4 weeks later...

If you dont drive over 85 miles per hour it shouldnt matter what speed rating your tires have.

Just expect that if you buy a knock-off brand tire that the miles you will get from them will be reduced by about a third.