Is It Worth Replacing All Upper Strut Assembly?

vyhanh

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 recently developed stone-pinging-inwheel-well sounds. We replaced last winter both front shocks and lower ball joints.

ParkPlace quoted parts:

SHOPPING CART

Description Qty MSRP Price Your Price Core Price Total Cost

Collision Catalog - 1991 - Lexus - LS 400

Wheels and front suspension, Suspension components, Cap, Cap $5.14 $4.37 $0.00 $8.74

Wheels and front suspension, Suspension components, Shock absorber, Mount bracket, Upper $125.26 $106.47 $0.00 $212.94

Wheels and front suspension, Suspension components, Bumper, Bumper $22.99 $19.54 $0.00 $39.08

Wheels and front suspension, Suspension components, Insulator, Insulator $41.39 $35.18 $0.00 $70.36

Total: $331.12

Estimated Shipping: UPS groundUPS 2ND DAYUPS NEXT DAY SAVERUPS GROUND FREEUPS 3 DAY SELECTUPS SATURDAY DeliveryBODY PARTS AND BULKY ITEMS $10.50

My questions:

1. Prices good?

2. Free shipping?

3. Both front should be replaced together?

4. Labor cost and hours?

TIA

VH

Are you saying you plan to install new shocks again less than 1 year later? That can't be right.

There is some discussion in this forum about bushings in front end. Maybe want to look into that before you do a do over.

No, I just mentioned the parts already replaced. To be replaced are the upper assembly that goes over the shock and inside the spring !

Are you saying you plan to install new shocks again less than 1 year later? That can't be right.

There is some discussion in this forum about bushings in front end. Maybe want to look into that before you do a do over.

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 recently developed stone-pinging-inwheel-well sounds. We replaced last winter both front shocks and lower ball joints.

ParkPlace quoted parts:

Caps $8.74

Mount brackets Upper $212.94

Bumpers $39.08

Insulators $70.36

My questions:

1. Prices good?

2. Free shipping?

3. Both front should be replaced together?

4. Labor cost and hours?

TIA

VH

You can probably reuse your old caps unless they are missing. They are not wear items.

KYB strut mounts are about $50 each on ebay and are pretty much OEM quality.

Bumpers and insulators are dealer only. These prices are outrageous but the dealers got you.

When you changed shocks a year ago, did you notice the condition of the mounts, bumpers and insulators? That was your chance to replace them. Now you get to do the ENTIRE repair again.

Describe your symptoms again. New bumpers won't solve anything. Only there in case of severe bottoming of car. Unless the pad part of your old insulators were in tatters when you reused them and they have since disintegrated , new ones won't make a difference either. Cap is cosmetic. Broken shock mounts can cause clunking. Other parts that may need replacing, sway bar bushings, UCA, strut cushions.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks Glenmore for your advice.

Yup! I paid dearly :angry: ($250) for NOT changing the latest parts mentioned (the mechanic said they were ok back then and I also did not have the current 'sound like a stone hitting the wheel well when over a big bump'. From the top, to me, they do look worn :( eg. looking frayed and discolored. When we bounce the car up and down strongly, there is a clunking from up top when we look from underneath of car (when car is on hoist).

Anyhow, I ordered from Lexus from Pembroke Pines (Fla) and also 2 engine mounts and 1 rear (trans) mount today. Pocket burnt a bit ($550 all up) :rolleyes:

From Glenmore:

You can probably reuse your old caps unless they are missing. They are not wear items.

KYB strut mounts are about $50 each on ebay and are pretty much OEM quality.

Bumpers and insulators are dealer only. These prices are outrageous but the dealers got you.

When you changed shocks a year ago, did you notice the condition of the mounts, bumpers and insulators? That was your chance to replace them. Now you get to do the ENTIRE repair again.

Describe your symptoms again. New bumpers won't solve anything. Only there in case of severe bottoming of car. Unless the pad part of your old insulators were in tatters when you reused them and they have since disintegrated , new ones won't make a difference either. Cap is cosmetic. Broken shock mounts can cause clunking. Other parts that may need replacing, sway bar bushings, UCA, strut cushions.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280