Full Tune-up

You must drive a lot to change oil monthly?? Only needs new oil every 5k miles. A full tune up is a bit of a misnomer in this era of cars. It’s a terms from the old days of distributor caps, rotors, and points in the ignition. Few cars have any of these parts today with electronic ignition (eliminated points) and individual coils for each cylinder (eliminated distributor cap and rotor).

I would refer to Lexus maintenance schedule for service requirements. The schedule I have shows oil change every 5k, cabin air filter every 10k, brake fluid change every 30k, engine air filter every 30k, new timing belt every 90k, coolant change every 100k. Missing from the list is anything about transmission (filter or fluid) and spark plugs. Not sure why these were missing as they seem they should be changed out on some schedule.

what consists of a full tune-up?

dont want to go to the shop and spend $600

i had only change my oil/oil filter monthly since i bought my car in oct 08

Go here, http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/select.html

enter your car's info, then on the next page scroll down and you can see what Lexus recommends for your next servicing.

And no, I cannot explain why our local Lexus dealer charges 3x ($1700) the anticipated cost ($524) for a 90k servicing and our local Toyota dealer charges only 2x $1000( for the same servicing on a 2002 LS430