Brake Warning Light Intermittent Flash

drmull

Hello -

Searched the forum but found nothing. I have a '99 RX. I'm getting an intermittent single chime (the one that sounds when you leave the lights on) accompanied by a single QUICK flash of the brake warning light on the dash. Sometimes this happens about every minute or so, sometimes not at all. I checked the brake fluid and it's full to the max line. Anyone have any idea what's going on?? The light on the dash is so qiuck I had to have my wife stare at the dash to find out which light was flashing.

I just drove it 5 miles or so, and it chimed several times. Driving back it didn't happen at all. Hmmmm...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I've been experiencing the same problem it's intermittent. it seems to have something to do with the electronics and weather. Started just before I changed my brakes, rotors, and tires. Now the problem is back after I was driving in the salt after the snow storm in NYc in december. brake fluid levels are ok. it's annoying having the sound go off every few seconds. though it disappears for a moment when I accelerate from stop.

• 4 weeks later...

My '99 RX300 2WD started doing this, too. Does anyone know if this is an actual wear sensor related? Could this indicate some other fault?

Mine's not likely weather related since I live in L.A. and it's been 70-80 degrees, no rain (and no road salt, either). I'm wondering what it means, other than an expensive trip to the dealer. I'm not hard on the brakes. The original set got me 80,000 L.A. commuter miles and still had life, but the audible wear sensor squawking drove me to get them replaced when there was still lots of life left. I've never seen the "BRAKE" warning light come on after the parking brake is disengaged. Now with 130,000 (or 30,000 less than the original set) the "BRAKE" warning light is intermittently flashing with a chime. It goes out after a while (warm?). The hydraulic pressure is good when I hold the brake to the floor, stop the engine, and restart (school bus safety check). The master cyl. is full. The ABS and CHECK ENGINE warning lights test OK and go out once the engine is started.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience. Thanks!

I'm wondering if it's the sensor in the rubber cap sending a false "low brake fluid" reading or if there is actually a separate electronic sensor to report a low brake lining condition. Does anyone know?

There is no sensor that reports low brake lining. Probably just the cap. Try opening it up and moving the plunger around to loosen it up.