Lexus Lx450

Mojo

I was wondering how the 4wheeldrive system works, is it like a viscous coupling, don't know how they lock and unlock the center diff. Are there clutches? Are they considered allwheeldrives or 4wheeldrives? I was asking because a friend ask me about mine and hes a 4wd nut, I wasn't sure. Thanks :)

It's full-time 4wd -- always in 4HI until you put it into 4LOW.

Viscous coupling. The center diff locks and unlocks automatically when you shift into and out of 4LOW (the center diff locks when you shift into 4LOW).

If you have the optional front and rear differentials (if you do, there is a dial on the dash to the left of the steering wheel labeled "DIFF LOCK"), there's a dog clutch which engages the rears, then the fronts -- depending on what you select on the dial.

The link that jrwright has some great info regarding how 4-wheel drives work.

Oh...one more thing -- the LX 450 is GREAT off road.

Doug

Thanks guys that answered my question. I really love the suv, would like to get a landcruiser for me, my wife drives the 450 and I would feel funny having two of them, but a landcruiser is the same but people don't know it. Is that weird of me?

I bought an LX470 for my wife a few years back and fell in love with it. So I sold my F150 and bought a '99 Land Cruiser about eight months later. I still like the LX better though, the LC nice but not as quiet or smooth. I really don't think you could go wrong with either, they are still head and shoulders above anything else, IMHO. :D

Yeah your all probably right. My 450 has all three factory options, (cd changer) (sunroof) & (Lockers). I do love it, But I also love the look of the 98 and newer landcruiser. I was told that the V8 in the new ones needs premium gas. Anyone know if thats true?