Bubbling On Rim

You have to realize though, its not the dealership's product. The dealer is coming out of their own pocket to meet you half way on the repair.

Thats another interesting tidbit though, you paid for an additional paint protection package? Do you still have the paperwork from that?

It does make sense to me though that the corrosion warranty really only applies to the body of the car. Its also only a perforation warranty and doesn't cover surface rust. If something corrodes from a scratch or a wheel scrape...they can't be held responsible for that.

You live in a very corrosive winter location. I know, I'm heading up there in 2 weeks to visit family. The wheels of both their cars are what I would consider badly corroded, and I see that on other cars as well...

That goes to show you, always make a note of issues when they pop up. If you had brought it up during the warranty the dealer would have a better chance with Lexus getting them to cover it.

I had severe bubbling on all 4 of my rims. I brought this to the attention of the rep and my dealership and they said they would fix it at no cost to me. My car had about 50000 miles on it. They blamed the problem on salt from the roads. The "dipped" the wheels in alloy and they ended up coming out pretty much like brand new...about 99%. They charged me nothing for this service. I assumed it was covered under warranty due to poor performance of a product.

Joe

I noticed some bubbling on both the passenger side front & rear rims. Anyone else have this problem? My old Toyota mechanic told me to claim warranty on them & have them replaced. Wonder why it's even happening.. I think i'll take some pictures & post 'em up

I just picked up my rims yesterday after the refurb (dealer put on my winter wheels while they fixed my summer rims). They look new!! The sevice manager says they should be good now however if I have any more ssues with bubbling to give him a call.

There was no charge. I'm happy!!

Winter tires on an IS250 AWD - you got one SAFE ride for the winter ;) Yeah, you really can't tell these rims are refurbs. I was worried the refurbs might not be perfectly circular, God knows how many potholes the previous might've gone over, but the Manager at Lexus On The Park let me come in & witness the tires being mounted to the rims. When they spun there was not a single imperfection. Since then i've hit curbs 3-4x while trying to park nice & adjacent to the side walk, hope I don't see any bubbling anytime soon

Winter tires on an IS250 AWD - you got one SAFE ride for the winter ;) Yeah, you really can't tell these rims are refurbs. I was worried the refurbs might not be perfectly circular, God knows how many potholes the previous might've gone over, but the Manager at Lexus On The Park let me come in & witness the tires being mounted to the rims. When they spun there was not a single imperfection. Since then i've hit curbs 3-4x while trying to park nice & adjacent to the side walk, hope I don't see any bubbling anytime soon

I hear ya. I hit the curb trying to get out of that parking lot.

The service mgr. says no one is 100% sure why the bubbling occurs. Some rims get it worse than others. His theory is salt makes it worse.

By-the-way, thanks for the tip on this place. Service is top notch.

(my kids loved screaming and running around the show room testing all the cars too)

• 8 months later...

Had same issue on my car (3 yr old IS250). The Service Manager did not want to replace the wheels under warranty and came up with some BS excuse that he needed to get authorization from the Regional Manager.

I called Lexus Dealer Experience number and complained about the service manager and the dealership. Magically within 12 hours the service manager called me back saying that he had received authorization from the Regional Manager.

Got 4 brand new wheels installed. My suggestion is that if the dealer is difficult, call Lexus Customer Service... they are very helpful.

Its not a BS excuse. The dealer is an independent business, they need to check with the regional manager to be sure that they will pay for the replacement before they promise you they can do it. Its not the service manager's decision.

If he says they'll do it and Lexus won't approve it, the dealer will be stuck with replacing your wheels at their own cost or going back on what they told you.

The dealer WANTS Lexus to cover the repair...because they get paid. This misconcieved notion that the DEALER doesn't want to approve warranty work is incorrect.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it. Probably the overall attitude of the Service Manager gave me the impression that he was being unnecessarily difficult, but I understand what you said.

Its not a BS excuse. The dealer is an independent business, they need to check with the regional manager to be sure that they will pay for the replacement before they promise you they can do it. Its not the service manager's decision.

If he says they'll do it and Lexus won't approve it, the dealer will be stuck with replacing your wheels at their own cost or going back on what they told you.

The dealer WANTS Lexus to cover the repair...because they get paid. This misconcieved notion that the DEALER doesn't want to approve warranty work is incorrect.

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased a 2007 IS250 AWD CPO in Maryland and mentioned the wheels were blistering before I purchased the vehicle. The Lexus dealer said the wheels were a recall and when I got back to Louisville the Lexus dealer would take care of it. So I had an appointment with the Louisville Lexus dealer this week and showed them the wheels. They said they would not replace the wheels and offered no alternative to fix the blistering. The Maryland Lexus dealer seems to be giving the run around with how to resolve the issue. I contacted Lexus Corporate customer service and they said I had to address it with the dealer.

Any suggestions?