95 Sc400 Timing Belt & Water Pump R&r

Decided to tear the front down and get that timing belt replaced. I had an alternator die on me 3 days ago, stock unit at 99,000. I decided it's time to check the belt as well, glad I did. Took a new belt, and of course the new water pump. That's a pair - don't do one without the other since the pump is timing belt driven. I have to say it's a nightmare in terms of time involved, but otherwise straight forward. I can see now where Lexus gets well over 1K for this procedure, with parts just at about $200. Belt is a Goodyear at $50.00 and the pump was $169.00 new not rebuilt. I opted for a new pump since it's aluminum. Give yourself 2 days on this and don't rush it. Make sure you know where the bolts are from, a bunch of different lengths in there.

Alternator now charging at 14.4vdc under load, and tomorrow I finish putting the front end back together. Hint -- you DO NOT have to remove the radiator and hydraulic fan to get at this stuff. Also, make your own mark on the two overhead cams and the crank. You'll save about 3 hours work right there. I have some pictures and will upload them now.

Any questions about this R&R procedure and I'd be happy to answer them.

Picture are in order, you can see the old belt and the wear showing through the smooth side. The new water pump is that nice shiny thing toward the last picture, and the last pic has the new belt installed.

post-90271-1240991560_thumb.jpg

post-90271-1240991648_thumb.jpg

post-90271-1240991705_thumb.jpg

post-90271-1240991755_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Good job; did you replace idler pulleys, etc, too?

Nope.... didn't need them. They were in perfect condition. The adjuster is hydraulic, pretty much straightforward inside the case. The only thing I am kicking myself for right now is I should have looked carefully at the power steering pump before I put it back on. Damn thing is leaking right now from the pump. Hoses are good. Bummer. Off to the parts store tomorrow for a rebuilt. Little leak, big mess. Res is almost full, but that stuff makes a mess under the engine with dirt. When I did the timing belt the undercarriage was clean and dry. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Power Steering pump started to leak big time, just replaced it too. Now that was pricey, $300.00 minus a $75 core. Hopefully this is it.... about $1500 invested so far into this car. Anymore and I'll be doing the cash for clunkers gig with it (LOL).

Great job, the timing belt scares me to do myself, so i will probably pay someone. My steering pump is just starting to drip at the bottom where the big bolt is.

So I was going to have that fixed hopefully or replaced, timing belt, water pump, and idler pulley. if I have enough money I can do all of the belts myself and maybe do the idler pulley.

Good Job

• 3 weeks later...

Well.... time to part with the SC400. Just turned 106K on the ODO, used it for 10K and it's been a joy. I love the car, but have the itch. Just found a gorgeous IS350 2006 for sale out here, and I'm gonna trade my SC400 and a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 in on it. Hoping that leaves me with about 4k to finance. Lexus Certified, so I get a 3 years warranty gig and 100K on the mileage for the 2006 IS350. Not a bad deal I think. I originally paid $6400 for the SC, and had to reduce my asking price down to $5800 to get bites. Finally have two bites that look good, otherwise it goes to the dealer for trade this week sometime. I'll probably end up with less $$ at the dealership, but at least I'll have about $21K trade equity combined for the IS350 deal. That and the 3 year Lexus Certified warranty and I'm feeling good about it. :)