Hids On The 95-97..

jcrome04

Hey guys I have a question about HIDs on my 97.

I know that usually HIDs don't work with these types of headlights. (bad output and pattern)

But I got to looking at a brochure for the 97 LS400 and HIDs WERE an option...

Would it be possible to just buy a plug & play kit???

Does anybody know what the difference in setups were?? Would there have been any different lens or anything inside the housing? Or is it just a different bulb??

I would love to get some pure white HIDs.. but only if they would work properly..

If not.. then my Silverstar ULTRAs will continue to serve me well! :D

TIA :cheers:

HIDs weren't an option on 1st gen that I know of...

and SKPs is 98-00.... As you can see his (98-00) front end is completely different from mine (95-97).

Hey guys I have a question about HIDs on my 97.

I know that usually HIDs don't work with these types of headlights. (bad output and pattern)

But I got to looking at a brochure for the 97 LS400 and HIDs WERE an option...

Would it be possible to just buy a plug & play kit???

Does anybody know what the difference in setups were?? Would there have been any different lens or anything inside the housing? Or is it just a different bulb??

I would love to get some pure white HIDs.. but only if they would work properly..

If not.. then my Silverstar ULTRAs will continue to serve me well! :D

TIA :cheers:

If the brochure you mentioned is http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1997/1997LSspecs.pdf , it's incorrect. HID was not an option on the 97 LS. Those brochures on the Lexus website have other errors -- e.g. rear seat heaters were never an option in the U.S. Regardless, the HID option on the 98-00 LS400 uses different optics from the standard halogen headlights.

Ok perfect.

I always knew HIDs shouldn't go in fluted lenses. But saw it showed it as an option so I thought maybe it was engineered differently.

Glad to know it was just a typo :D :D

Thanks everyone :) I'll be sticking to my Silverstar ULTRAs B)

So if you got HID's in a 1st gen or 2nd gen LS the pattern of your headlights would go haywire?

The pattern is not going to change. The problem is that HID lights produce too much light which halogen housings can not distribute properly, creating a lot of glare.

The pattern is not going to change. The problem is that HID lights produce too much light which halogen housings can not distribute properly, creating a lot of glare.

From what I've seen, I think the pattern can change a lot when HID kit bulbs are put in a non HID light unit. The reason I've read about is that HID kit bulbs usually don't produce their light in exactly the same position in the housing as the non-HID bulbs that were designed for the light housing.

The worst HID kit installation I've ever seen was a few week ago on a mid 90s Toyota Camry. Intense light was going everywhere except where it needed to go -- can't believe that police hadn't intervened but maybe the guy had just installed the HID kit.

From what I've seen, I think the pattern can change a lot when HID kit bulbs are put in a non HID light unit. The reason I've read about is that HID kit bulbs usually don't produce their light in exactly the same position in the housing as the non-HID bulbs that were designed for the light housing.

The worst HID kit installation I've ever seen was a few week ago on a mid 90s Toyota Camry. Intense light was going everywhere except where it needed to go -- can't believe that police hadn't intervened but maybe the guy had just installed the HID kit.

Good point, it does depend the type of bulb the car uses. The filament on some bulbs is offset from the center...

Thats why HID kits are illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah there are a couple people around here that think they're cool with horrible looking HIDs in the wrong housings.

Pretty embarrassing! :D

I see that every day. :)

I have H.I.D.'s on my 1995 LS400 clear white with a touch of blue and it looks great I see the road better it illuminates nicely. It does not blind people it depends on voltage and the color, and the light doesn"t scatter as read in other posts, because you can adjust them as a regular bulb using the adjustment nuts on the back of the headlight housing

I have H.I.D.'s on my 1995 LS400 clear white with a touch of blue and it looks great I see the road better it illuminates nicely. It does not blind people it depends on voltage and the color, and the light doesn"t scatter as read in other posts, because you can adjust them as a regular bulb using the adjustment nuts on the back of the headlight housing

For sure, the 95-97 LS400 headlights have a far sharper beam cutoff than the gen 1 LS400's headlights. And the 95-97 LS has separate high beam bulbs so you didn't lose your high beams with an HID kit.

From what I can see, the big problem is the variability is how well aftermarket HID bulbs match the focus point of the OEM halogen bulb and whether or not they have a well designed glare shield - if they have a glare shield at all.

There are no standards for aftermarket HID kits and bulbs. Some are complete crap and some work pretty well in headlight units with a well defined beam cutoff.

It might help others if you provided detailed information about which HID kit you installed. It sounds like you might have bought one of the better ones.

Volatage on all kits are 35w unless it is an special 55w watt kit which are rare.

It does scatter the light as the flutes are made for that.

Since the candle power is increased and the bulb is in a different location it will cause the light to be emmited brighter and in different postions than before.

If you take a regular bulb and move it in a housing it will change the light footprint , just like half the cars with one light aimed in the sky which is usually from them installing a bulb incorrecly and altering the beam pattern.

You might THINK it is not glaring but it is . Any 95-97 i have seen just like the previous ls with HID's the light is everywhere , no focus no clarity just everything is brighter from the tree tops to the sidewalks.

So i beg to differ just by the basic facts of the bulb position being unable to reprdouce light in the original location.

Even my first HID kit Using OEM phillips parts for $1000 i bought in 98 for my ES300 with projectors has glare and it is a focused beam.

It does not matter which kit you bought they are all in the same location for light output , glare comes from the lack of a beam cut off , like anything the closer you move the source light to the sheild it will widen the output of light.

• 1 month later...

Ok So I've been doing a LITTLE research on HIDs today.. I'm getting an itch... I've heard that a Bi-Xenon kit can drastically reduce glare..

What are some quality brands??

I see I should be looking for 35W for optimal lifetime, and less glare...

So I think I'm looking for a 35W 5000k Bi-Xenon kit. (H4/9003)

I guess there is a cover over the tip of the Bi-Xenon bulb that will further reduce glare?? Like on regular H4 bulbs?

Even with all these attributes would there still be a lot of glare and blind oncoming drivers??

I've seen some that are also designed with the same focal points as halogen bulbs to even further reduce glare. . . Is this true to all or just specific ones??

How would it stack up against my current Silverstars? I don't want to spend $1-200 for less light output and horrible pattern.

anyways.... I'm just trying to figure out if HIDs would work at all in my 97.. one of my Silverstars burnt out already so I had to buy another set :P haha and it pi$$ed me off.

Wow. So a ton of photos of HIDs on the earlier LS's up in that CLub Lexus thread. I think everyone should go check it out!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400-foru...uestions-3.html

The light output is surprisingly effective... I may have to buy some HIDs :D :D

(I kind of like talking to myself) ;) hahahah

Well Sir I might have to since no one will talk to me!

What do I have leprosy? :lol:

Does anybody have any experience with Xtreme HIDs? Looks like a nice Bi-Xenon kit for $140, w/ 1 year warranty.

35W 5000k

http://www.xtremehids.com/product_info.php...products_id=842