Starter Fixed

w140amg

I got my 95 LS running again.

I had to replace the starter (Denso remanufactured) and while the tech was doing the work he discovered a hairline crack on the EGR tube, so he replaced the EGR system. Maybe the MPG will go up with the new EGR system.

Hopefully the car will run for 5 years w/o a problem. Since I bought it in February of this year, I put about $4500 into the car. horrible...

Yea Lexus burried that starter. It's so hard to get at.

Good luck

Yeah and quite foolishly and uncalled for. They are not that incompetent. Thankfully out of the two LS's I have owned, they have not needed starters.

The main reason it is in the center of the engine practically, is for reduced noise on start up. I can hear a 5.0 mustang starter from a mile way because of its location on the side of the engine proximal to the strut tower. The tower acts as a funnel for starter noise and it bounces off the pavement and everyone knows a mustang is about to start moving.

If the starter was not buried it would be a lot louder in the cabin when you turn the key.

I never thought of it that way. It makes since then that they put it into the middle of the car. I guess Lexus designed it knowing that most of the people that bought the car would have enough money to pay a Lexus mechanic to change it so they didn't design it for easy DIY replacement.

Kinda on the same topic, does anyone know where a BMW 740 iL starter is? 1996-98 range. One was parked next to me one day and the guy came out and started it and I swear if I wasn't looking at it with my door open I wouldn't have heard it. That V-12 was so quiet.

Yeah, they never thought of someone as poor as me owning a LS400 17 years down the road. :P

I never thought of it that way. It makes since then that they put it into the middle of the car. I guess Lexus designed it knowing that most of the people that bought the car would have enough money to pay a Lexus mechanic to change it so they didn't design it for easy DIY replacement.

Kinda on the same topic, does anyone know where a BMW 740 iL starter is? 1996-98 range. One was parked next to me one day and the guy came out and started it and I swear if I wasn't looking at it with my door open I wouldn't have heard it. That V-12 was so quiet.

Probably in the same location. <_<

My Mercedes starts very quietly, yet if it ever needs changed, it takes like 25 minutes to change it... tops! Gotta love the 1980s Mercedes.... before they became very complex tanks in 1992. :(

I know what kind of cars are starting up just by the noise they make. Chevy's, Honda's, Ford's, Toyota's.. each brand makes it's own unique sound..

What really throws me off is hearing an LS start up, then I glance over and it's a Toyota Tundra :D :D lol

I know what kind of cars are starting up just by the noise they make. Chevy's, Honda's, Ford's, Toyota's.. each brand makes it's own unique sound..

What really throws me off is hearing an LS start up, then I glance over and it's a Toyota Tundra :D :D lol

Me too pretty much, even the 60s and 70s cars... I dont know why I notice stuff like this.

How about those old Mopars! They have a very unique starter sound, as did GM and Fords of the 70s.... all sounded very differently.

I have just repaired my starter motor took me about 12 hours in all ( beer breaks included!) and cost around $100.00 for the gaskets and the starter repair kit but now working fine again ( no more click click!).

Contact was worn wafer thin and the plunger was very pitted.

What is strange is that mine is a JDM import and for some reason has no EGR system installed ( anyone know why?) but at least I won't have the fractured EGR pipe problem

post-26370-1241438501_thumb.jpg

post-26370-1241438569_thumb.jpg

post-26370-1241438590_thumb.jpg

post-26370-1241438836_thumb.jpg

I have just repaired my starter motor took me about 12 hours in all ( beer breaks included!) and cost around $100.00 for the gaskets and the starter repair kit but now working fine again ( no more click click!).

What is strange is that mine is a JDM import and for some reason has no EGR system installed ( anyone know why?) but at least I won't have the fractured EGR pipe problem

EGR isnt required in japan.

Location of the starters is totally inbelievable! :wacko: